Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dealing with Fleas

1. Senior Member

Dealing with Fleas

Advertisements
    So my dog is almost 8 and has never had fleas as he's indoors all the time and rarely around other animals. He's on sentinel for heart worm prevention which also makes it so that fleas eggs don't hatch or something like that and this has been plenty to keep him from getting fleas in the past.

A couple of weeks ago he went to his normal twice a year visit to petsmart for a haircut, and came home itching. I thought maybe the bath dried his skin out or the shampoo irritated him and couldn't find anything on his skin so I didn't worry at first, but after a week or so I finally found a flea on him (he's a black pom so extremely hard to get to his skin even after a haircut).

So I called the vet a few days ago when I realized it was fleas and they said that they use Nexguard. The first pill was free and the additional pills are $25 a piece or something. They said it would kill the adult fleas so I figured one pill and he should be done but they seem to think that it will take 3 months for the fleas to be gone. When I ask why, they tell me because of the "flea life cycle".

Granted this is the girl at the front desk and not the actual vet, but they didn't suggest I needed to bring him in just said to come pick up the medicine. I gave him the Nexguard a couple of days ago and he is still itching a bit but it does seem to be lessening. My main question is, does anyone know why the heck it would take 3 months to get rid of the fleas if they can't reproduce on him? Can they lay eggs other places and reproduce or something? And what are other things I can do to get rid of these things? I can't deal with fleas for three months!

I've only found 3 fleas total in this whole ordeal so I can't imagine he possibly ever had more than 10-20 and I'm really not understanding why it would take 3 months to get rid of them
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Yes, thats true. If you have found fleas (ie. more than 1) that your dog picked up, that means that those fleas have already had a chance to breed before they bit your dog to become infertile. Those eggs cannot be killed by flea bombs (so dont even try), and take up to 3-4 months to hatch. So yes, your dog should be on an adulticide for 3 months. Many people do not recommend using Sentinel for flea protection, only for the heartworm protection, and generally recommend using a combo of Sentinel for HW and something like Advantix for NexGard for flea/tick protection.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, it's a little condescending to say "it's the girl at the front desk" as someone who worked at vet clinics both as a tech and receptionist they know a lot about some of the flea and tick meds because they go to the seminars with the reps as well and the doctors give them training on what to tell clients.

What's she saying is true, the flea life cycle is 3 months, if you found one flea on your dog you can bet there are more in your carpet, on your couch, in the dog's bed etc. You can give the dog the meds to kill the adult fleas but if they've already laid eggs elsewhere before biting your dog then you have to consider that those fleas will hatch and live in your house. You will need to treat your dog until all of the eggs that are currently being laid or have been laid grow to adults and die or bite your dog and die.

You can also treat your home with an insecticide to kill what's in your carpets and furniture.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Yes, thats true. If you have found fleas (ie. more than 1) that your dog picked up, that means that those fleas have already had a chance to breed before they bit your dog to become infertile. Those eggs cannot be killed by flea bombs (so dont even try), and take up to 3-4 months to hatch. So yes, your dog should be on an adulticide for 3 months. Many people do not recommend using Sentinel for flea protection, only for the heartworm protection, and generally recommend using a combo of Sentinel for HW and something like Advantix for NexGard for flea/tick protection.
    I've honestly never heard of a dog being on flea protection in my area - I don't think fleas are very common usually, but I have heard lately they they are starting to be an issue here. I didn't even know about the sentinel at first, it was just what the vet gave us a sample long ago and my dog will eat it by itself so we went with it. We had dogs and cats growing up that were indoor/outdoor and never did any flea prevention and they never had fleas so that's why I'm so lost as to how to deal with them.

I've never heard of a flea bomb - I know they make like flea shampoo, that's the only other flea treatment I've ever heard of. So are you saying there's basically no way to kill the eggs we just have to keep him on the Nexguard for three months until they have all hatched and been killed as adults?

ETA: The vet has also never recommended to me that any other flea prevention was important or even an option - and I've been to 3 different vets (in NC and KS) since I've had this dog.

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Honestly, it's a little condescending to say "it's the girl at the front desk" as someone who worked at vet clinics both as a tech and receptionist they know a lot about some of the flea and tick meds because they go to the seminars with the reps as well and the doctors give them training on what to tell clients.

What's she saying is true, the flea life cycle is 3 months, if you found one flea on your dog you can bet there are more in your carpet, on your couch, in the dog's bed etc. You can give the dog the meds to kill the adult fleas but if they've already laid eggs elsewhere before biting your dog then you have to consider that those fleas will hatch and live in your house. You will need to treat your dog until all of the eggs that are currently being laid or have been laid grow to adults and die or bite your dog and die.

You can also treat your home with an insecticide to kill what's in your carpets and furniture.
    I wasn't trying to be condescending at all - surely the receptionist knows more than I do about fleas. I was just making it clear I hadn't talked to the vet, I assume the vet would know more than the receptionist. I left pretty confused because she couldn't explain what she meant by the flea life cycle she just kept repeating that. You guys explained it a lot better than she did. I just assumed they would have me bring him in to see the vet and there would be some way to get rid of them immediately. Ugh I just can't imagine feeling like bugs are crawling on me all the time for the next three months.
  5. Senior Member
    I use front line for my dog(s) and it always seems to work.

For the house, a trick I learned that seems to work is to leave cups (just regular plastic cups) filled about half way with laundry detergent and put them by the couch and on the floor by carpets. It attracts them and they get stuck in there. I had fleas in the house once, did this a few times during the night. It def. Helped!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    I use front line for my dog(s) and it always seems to work.

For the house, a trick I learned that seems to work is to leave cups (just regular plastic cups) filled about half way with laundry detergent and put them by the couch and on the floor by carpets. It attracts them and they get stuck in there. I had fleas in the house once, did this a few times during the night. It def. Helped!
    Why laundry detergent? I wonder if blue dawn dish detergent would work.

I just found a flea on my GSD. I think she picked it up at the emergency vet yesterday. she's starting Nexgard today.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    Why laundry detergent? I wonder if blue dawn dish detergent would work.

I just found a flea on my GSD. I think she picked it up at the emergency vet yesterday. she's starting Nexgard today.
    dish soap works too! , awww hope they go away soon!!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  8. Senior Member
    Just a suggestion:

Enforcer Flea Spray For Carpets & Furniture, 14 oz. - For Life Out Here

Enforcer Flea Spray For Homes, 1 gal. - For Life Out Here

Not sure if you have a tractor supply near you, but when my pets had fleas that is what I used. You have to treat you home as well as they get into the carpet and such. Only one treatment needed! Although I've always done two as a back up. If there is no tractor supply near you, you can have it shipped to your house or you can google where else sells it. I used the same brand shampoo as well, but like other have said, Dawn dish detergent will do the trick! Fleas suck, but you can get rid of them faster then three months. I have, and I have suggested this to other people and they said it worked wonderfully for them.
    But like I said, just a suggestion! Good luck with it all