Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't stand ny dogs right now

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I can't stand ny dogs right now

Advertisements
    Legit. Can. Not. Stand. Them.

We are in an apartment temporarily while our house is beng built and my dogs are so used to just going out a sliding glass door into a big fenced in back yard. I was used to it too. I hate having two dogs and a toddler to take out...every.single.time. It is just such a hassle. That's not even touching on the barking (that is finally getting a tad bit better).

Since we moved they keep going to the bathroom in the apartment. Won't indicate when they need to go out. So I've started crating them anytime they don't go while outside and if feels like Lucy especially is in her crate so much more than she has ever been...but she WILL NOT use the bathroom if I just walk her outside our apartment...she has to be taken on an actual walk to do anything (which she gets about 3-4 times a day). This is an issue when DD is sleeping and I'm watching her asleep on the monitor...I cannot go anywhere else but the section right outside the window she's sleeping. I cannot stand outside for the staredown that ensues or the time because she fights going in the grass.

They are making this transition so much more stressful than it would be. And DH is on nights and overtime until after Christmas, so I have help in the evenings *maybe* twice a week. I would never have gotten two dogs if I knew apartment living was going to be occurring and it sucks.

I think this was more of a vent than anything...but if you've got suggestions then I'm all ears (I've been trying treats and connecting them to the word potty when they go.)
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. Senior Member
    . I'm sorry. My dog always requires a walk and won't go right outside our house, but I don't have a toddler. Have you considered bringing in someone to walk them one or two times during the day? A dog walker would walk them for like an hour so they'd be exhausted and probably get all their business done outside.
  3. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    . I'm sorry. My dog always requires a walk and won't go right outside our house, but I don't have a toddler. Have you considered bringing in someone to walk them one or two times during the day? A dog walker would walk them for like an hour so they'd be exhausted and probably get all their business done outside.
    It's not during the day that's my issue. It's evening/night when she's in bed and I know they need to go to the bathroom. So instead of being out with me, they're in crates because the jerks have no problem going anywhere in this apartment.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

4. Senior Member
    Do you have a balcony? If so, have you tried piddle pads or that fake grass stuff? My old man has a bit of incontinence and couldn't hold it most nights. So when we were in an apartment we put piddle pads outside and they worked really well.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Do you have a balcony? If so, have you tried piddle pads or that fake grass stuff? My old man has a bit of incontinence and couldn't hold it most nights. So when we were in an apartment we put piddle pads outside and they worked really well.
    I would say be careful with this though. My old apartment, the people upstairs did this but they fake grass leaked piss everywhere and it was impossible for us to use our patio because it smelled so bad. Then, when the apartment company found out, animal control took the dog and the neighbors were evicted because patios aren't allowed to be used as pet "bathroom areas or living quarters (shutting the dog outside)"
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    We are currently living at my mother's house. She has no fenced back yard so I have to take my two out for potty breaks. My female lab mix has taken to pooping on the concrete floor in the basement. They have a big 12x12 outside kennel they could be in but she keeps escaping out of it so she can't be left alone in it for long. My male dog isn't having many issues. We have been here for two months. Thankfully we move back into our house this weekend where they have a fenced back yard to play in and go potty with out having to be taken out. I hope you get some relief soon.
  7. Senior Member
    Have you tried saying "go potty" when youre outside and rewarding them?

This was like the 1st thing we trained Summer to do and now she practically goes on command when she's distracted.
    I would suggest training them separately. When my old boy was still living Summer would rather play with him than potty. So, just food for thought.

Edit: Just saw you are using the command go potty, then just refer to 2nd suggestion :X
  8. Senior Member
    I'm sorry, you're already doing everything I would do. How long have you guys been in the apartment? It might just take time even if it's incredibly frustrating.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post
    It's not during the day that's my issue. It's evening/night when she's in bed and I know they need to go to the bathroom. So instead of being out with me, they're in crates because the jerks have no problem going anywhere in this apartment.
    I would just take them (or have them taken) on as long of a walk before she goes to sleep. If they're taken on a 30 min walk from 7:30-8 they should be good for the night, no?
  10. Senior Member
    When we adopted my boy, he was mostly potty trained but kept finding "dead" spaces in the house that he'd use for going potty. These were spaces that weren't really used; a corner that they didn't sleep in, nowhere near where he played with his toys, near the dining area that was rarely used by humans. I threw a bunch of his toys over there to make the space more "lived in" and that helped a bit. But you also have to catch them in the act.

We were stuck in a hotel room for two weeks with our two dogs so I totally understand your pain. The space was so small though, I think there was no way they wanted to spoil it with their mess. And it was over the summer and so hot and the blacktop was burning their feet. Plus they heard everyone walking by. Just not a fun time. Just remember, this too shall pass!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast