Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GPS trackers for dogs?

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

GPS trackers for dogs?

Advertisements
    Lady is a runner and after the last time of her getting out and losing her tag I'd like a better way to find her. Has anyone used them and what experiences did you have?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We used maybe an older model for hunting dogs. It was big, clunky, and kind of expensive. There may be better ones out now. I would just stick with training her not to run and getting her chipped.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Honestly I would focus more on training her not to slip out. Practice putting her in sit/stay and going in and out, rewarding her for not going to the door. A gps tracker is ok, I mean it will help you find where she's laying in the road when she gets hit by a car. You need to focus on the problem, not symptoms of the problem.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't have direct experience but our friends who have hog dogs use them when they're out hunting.

One of the main issues I could see is that if you're wanting to just have this on the dog as a precaution for her running away, you're going to be using it a lot and battery life is going to be a concern. It's different with our friends because they know when they're going to use it and it's for a limited time, so they can charge the batteries and then when they're done the tracker comes off and the battery goes to get charged. But if you're going to have it on her most times that's going to be a lot of spare batteries and/or charging time, which could be expensive and inconvenient (not to mention the trackers themselves aren't cheap).
  5. Moderator

I agree with everyone else.

They are expensive and our experience is only with hunting dogs. I would really focus on training her not to run. Depending on a tracker will not alleviate the original problem.
  6. Senior Member
    I don't have an opinion on them and have never used them. But by my quick google search they really aren't that expensive.
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    The problem isn't that she goes for the door, but if I put her out, and there is any way possible for her to escape she will. She's currently being put out on her tether and harness again, but I can't prevent every time it's just not possible. This last time I had put her out and she squeezed through a spot she shouldn't have been able to. Her recall is fine inside, but once she's outside it goes to shit. She's prey driven and wants to just run, I think it originates from her past.
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    The problem isn't that she goes for the door, but if I put her out, and there is any way possible for her to escape she will. She's currently being put out on her tether and harness again, but I can't prevent every time it's just not possible. This last time I had put her out and she squeezed through a spot she shouldn't have been able to. Her recall is fine inside, but once she's outside it goes to shit. She's prey driven and wants to just run, I think it originates from her past.
    Then, I wouldn't allow her outside unsupervised, until she can be trusted. Right now, she has been allowed too much time to get through fences or holes.

I get the thought behind the tracker, however they will not stop her from getting out and possibly getting seriously hurt.