Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we over-vaccinating our pets?

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Are we over-vaccinating our pets?

Advertisements
    So this popped up on my facebook newsfeed with the following image. It's from a facebook group called "Planet Paws". Does anyone agree with this? Should we just be asking for titer tests and go from there? They sound very expensive.

Planet Paws with Alviant Prasetyo and 42 others

SO JUST HOW LONG DO YOUR PET’S SHOTS LAST?

Definitely longer than a year!

According to the top pet immunologist (aka vaccine expert) in the world, Dr. Ronald Schultz, Ph.D. – “ Annual revaccination provides no benefit and may increase the risk for adverse reactions.”

What the heck are adverse reactions (or side effects)?

Well according to the other rock star pet immunologist Dr. Jean Dodds:

“Side effects from dog vaccinations can occur anywhere from instantly up to several weeks or months later. Vaccines can even cause susceptibility to chronic diseases that appear much later in a dog’s life (Dodd, 2001).

Severe and fatal adverse reactions include:

•Susceptibility to infections.

•Neurological disorders and encephalitis.

•Aberrant behavior, including unprovoked aggression.

•Vaccines are linked to seizures. Distemper, parvovirus, rabies and, presumably, other vaccines have been linked with poly neuropathy, a nerve disease that involves inflammation of several nerves. (Dodds,2001)”

SO HOW LONG EXACTLY DOES YOUR PET’S VACCINE LAST?

According to the recommendations of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), (basically the dudes who set the standards for the vets): “Among healthy dogs, all commercially available [core] vaccines are expected to induce a sustained protective immune response lasting at least 5 yr. thereafter”

Here’s the breakdown of the core vaccines from Dr. Ronald Schultz:

Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines:

Distemper- 7 years by challenge
    Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge
    Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge
    Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge

The moral of the story here, if you have no idea when your pet is due or has been vaccinated, then just run a titer test and this will confirm if you are due, rather than over-vaccinate your poor pet, setting the stage for future problems!

What’s a titer test?

A titer test (pronounced tight-errr) is a laboratory or in-house veterinary test measuring the existence and level of antibodies (necessary to fight off disease) in your pet’s blood. Basically, it’s a test that will tell you whether or not you actually need to vaccinate your pet.

It’s also super useful when making a decision about vaccinating a pet with an unknown vaccination history, or for determining if pets have received immunity from vaccination.

Vaccinating your pet is super important so don’t lose the overall message here: VACCINATE, JUST DON’T OVER-VACCINATE!

According to Dr. Dodds:

“Vaccines have achieved many important benefits for companion animals, and has saved more animals' lives than any other medical advance.”

Want more on titer testing? Check it out: http://ow.ly/RPeLn

For more vaccine information, head on over to Dogs Naturally Magazine’s website and type vaccines in the search bar.

Rodney Habib - Pet Nutrition Blogger

"An educated, informed and well-researched community of pet owners can only put more pressure on the pet food industry to be better! When pet owners know better, they will only do better!"
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I take my pets to the vet and they have a record of all of their vaccinations and when they're due. I also keep a record of their vaccinations for myself at home so I know what all they've gotten and when. That's the best way to not over-vax.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't pet vax my animals cause pet vax causes pet autism!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Oh god fucking no. Animal titers (minus rabies) do not show immunity levels. We do not over vaccinate. It's all bullshit. Please don't become those people.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Is it terrible that DH and I joke about one of our cats having autism? She's kinda weird Maybe it was the vaccines!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Oh god fucking no. Animal titers (minus rabies) do not show immunity levels. We do not over vaccinate. It's all bullshit. Please don't become those people.
    Ok! Good to know. Considering I live in a state that is bad with people not getting any vaccines for their dog, I'm glad you commented.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Is it terrible that DH and I joke about one of our cats having autism? She's kinda weird Maybe it was the vaccines!
    wtf.

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by jenjamin View Post
    wtf.
    ??? Did you think I was serious about the vaccines causing it?

Also there's a silly kids book about it: All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome: Kathy Hoopmann: 9781843104810: Amazon.com: Books

She's odd, quirky, has neurological issues. We asked the vet if there's such thing as cat autism and she laughed and said not officially defined but all animals are capable having similar symptoms as what we define human autism as.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    ??? Did you think I was serious about the vaccines causing it?

Also there's a silly kids book about it: All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome: Kathy Hoopmann: 9781843104810: Amazon.com: Books

She's odd, quirky, has neurological issues. We asked the vet if there's such thing as cat autism and she laughed and said not officially defined but all animals are capable having similar symptoms as what we define human autism as.
    I think it's the autism = weird thing that was "wtf" worthy. I thought the same thing when I read that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast