Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New: Certain Peanut Butters can kill your pet!

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

New: Certain Peanut Butters can kill your pet!

Advertisements
    Dog toxicant xylitol appearing in peanut butters - VIN

FYI- xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free gum and a number of other things as a sugar substitute. It has never been in peanut butter until now when all these 'natural' brands are coming out, and they are using xylitol in them. In dogs, xylitol causes severe low blood sugar and often can cause death. Since a lot of people feed peanut butter to their pets, I wanted people to be aware. In the article it lists that brands that contain xylitol, as well as other names used for xylitol (such as birch bark extract). PLEASE do not feed you dog anything containing this product.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't have a dog but I super appreciate the info for my friends and families pups.
  3. Senior Member
    thank you for posting this! We use peanut butter as a treat for Mason so we will definitely make sure what we buy is xylitol free from now on.
  4. Senior Member
    Good to know. That's why I only buy pb with ingredients of peanuts and salt.
  5. Senior Member
  6. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Good to know! My pups love when I put PB in their kong toys- thanks for passing on the info
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Yikes thanks for sharing! My dog Loves Peanut butter and he eats a little of it 3 times a day! Only way we can get his pills in him without forcing them down his throat and holding his mouth shut.. We buy mostly the "made with only peanuts" which is only his no one else eats it. Sometimes he gets the "all natural" stuff I feed my daughter though when we're out of his! Luckily what we have doesn't have it( I just checked!) Good to know and sharing this on my Facebook for family and friends who have pooches too!
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 09-05-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: More info my phone sumitted to early. Was trying to go back and instead entered the post.. OPS!
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Best bet is to go to the "Natural" type stores that have a grinder full of nuts, and you just hit the grind button. Typically nothing in them except the nuts, and if salted, the salt! And it tastes better too!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Dog toxicant xylitol appearing in peanut butters - VIN

FYI- xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free gum and a number of other things as a sugar substitute. It has never been in peanut butter until now when all these 'natural' brands are coming out, and they are using xylitol in them. In dogs, xylitol causes severe low blood sugar and often can cause death. Since a lot of people feed peanut butter to their pets, I wanted people to be aware. In the article it lists that brands that contain xylitol, as well as other names used for xylitol (such as birch bark extract). PLEASE do not feed you dog anything containing this product.
    Everything I can find says this is a natural sugar substitute derived from birch, not an artificial.

That doesn't change its danger to dogs, but it is an important distinction.

Also - not always good for people, either. I appear to be sensitive to it - have always been able to taste it in products, and often get ill due to it. (It's in mouth washes, etc.)

Just another perspective.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Everything I can find says this is a natural sugar substitute derived from birch, not an artificial.

That doesn't change its danger to dogs, but it is an important distinction.

Also - not always good for people, either. I appear to be sensitive to it - have always been able to taste it in products, and often get ill due to it. (It's in mouth washes, etc.)

Just another perspective.
    Can be natural, but is almost always made by hydrogenation in a lab and injected. Also, not the point of anything I was trying to say, so I dont know how it is important in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast