Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Petsitter

1. Wine-o
    Wine-o

Petsitter

Advertisements
    I have a usual petsitter that I use for my dogs and she's wonderful. But she's not always available. So my backup is this dog walking company that comes in a few times per day. It's not necessarily the same person every time like it is when I use my normal sitter. They are on the expensive side, but I don't mind using them if my sitter can't watch my dogs. They're very convenient to use and I'm able to book online and everything.

The first time I used this company was almost a year ago. My dogs use potty pads in the kitchen when I'm not home (they have tiny bladders so can't hold it all day) so I give very detailed instructions on the pads, etc. Anyway, the first time I ever used them, the main girl wasn't putting new pads down and thus there was pee and poo all over the kitchen which was lovely to come home to after being out of town for a few days. I called the company immediately and told them what happened. The office manager is great and I really do like the company as a whole. Basically there was no excuse for what happened, it was just absent mindedness. They apologized profusely, refunded all my money, and said that girl would never come to my house again. I decided to give them another try. I've used them several times since that bad experience and never had an issue whatsoever.

I used them the past few days because my sitter was out of town and I came home earlier today to a lovely kitchen filled with pee and no potty pads. I called the company immediately. Again, office manager is great and she knew exactly who I was, apologized profusely, couldn't believe this happened again, blah blah blah. Same thing happened as before, the girl just forgot (different girl than the original one this happened with). They refunded my money again and are just begging to somehow make this right. The girl feels awful as well. I KNOW it wasn't intentional and I know people mess up. I'm not mad, just frustrated. The last thing I want to do when I get home from a trip on top of everything else is have to clean and mop.

So what would you do in this situation? I mean, I don't use this company that often. This is the first time I've used them in like over 6 months. And I do like the company and the people. But I'm like do I even want to continue using them if they're only good 75% of the time? The other 25% they mess up. Not sure if it's worth giving them another shot or if I should just bring on another backup dog walking company instead.
    ~Becca~

2. Senior Member
    I'd find another option. One screw up would be enough for me. Personally, I'd be worried there would be other stuff that would happen without me knowing.
    I dont know if you have ever tried it but Care.com does pet sitters and dog walkers too. While I ended up not needing to find a sitter that way. I posted my 'job opening' and I had several sitters message me.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Personally with a pet sitter I kinda feel like

so I'd be pretty dang annoyed, but at least they try and make it right without it being a drama. If you are in a bind and you are comfortable that they at least ensure the food and water than I'd keep them in my back pocket.
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    I'd find another option. One screw up would be enough for me. Personally, I'd be worried there would be other stuff that would happen without me knowing.
    I dont know if you have ever tried it but Care.com does pet sitters and dog walkers too. While I ended up not needing to find a sitter that way. I posted my 'job opening' and I had several sitters message me.
    My main sitter is actually off of Rover.com - LOVE that site! I used one other girl off there that was ok, but once I found my main sitter, I use her exclusively except when she's not available. This dog walking company is like my last resort after sitter is busy, friends can't, etc. I may have to look for someone else as a consistent backup type of thing. That's why I like using this company, because I know they will always be available if I'm in a bind.

Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    Personally with a pet sitter I kinda feel like

so I'd be pretty dang annoyed, but at least they try and make it right without it being a drama. If you are in a bind and you are comfortable that they at least ensure the food and water than I'd keep them in my back pocket.
    yeah pretty much. I know my dogs aren't the norm with special instructions, but on top of them having a copy of the detailed instructions, I also leave a printed out copy on the table and highlight, underline, etc after the first incident happened. The office manager is the nicest girl on the planet and I know it's just a screw up that she can't control. But they may have to move from my backup option to the backup of the backup option, which means I need a new backup option
    ~Becca~

5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Have you asked your main sitter for recommendations? Or your vet maybe?

We've had trouble finding people as well. I know how frustrating it can be. Coming home to pee or poop or puke is HORRIBLE.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post

We've had trouble finding people as well. I know how frustrating it can be. Coming home to pee or poop or puke is HORRIBLE.
    I was thinking the same thing, about the bolded part.
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sldanlm View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, about the bolded part.
    Ha, ya know, I never thought about asking my main sitter but that's a great idea!! She's a grad student which is why her schedule is so flexible, so I'm sure she may know of other grad students in the same situation
    ~Becca~

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

this is why I have a boarding company as my back up. if friends/ DB can't take him he goes to a boarding facility that costs like $50 a night but I know they take damn good care of him and let him play on the roof.