Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: She hates the dog park.

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

She hates the dog park.

Advertisements
    Since Charlie finally has all her shots we decided to take her to the dog park. Big mistake. She hated it. She was so scared the second another dog came up to her. There were only 2 other dogs. It wasn't like the park was packed and they were not large dogs by any means. The vet stressed the importance of socializing her, and I'm trying, but she was crying and screaming so loud at the dog park, we left within 5 minutes of being there. She acted like she actually got bit. The dog came running up to her and she legit did a barrel roll trying to get away. It was terrible. We ended up just going to PetSmart and then went home.

DH had a work outing at a dog friendly park, and she did great there! Almost the entire time she had 3 or 4 kids playing with her, she is just scared of other dogs. Her being good with other dogs is just as important as being good with young kids, imo.

Do we just keep trying the dog park? Obviously, during slower times.
  2. Senior Member
    I honestly don't know what the "right" way to do it would be, but I would probably try and find her a dog friend that she can meet in a more controlled circumstance and get used to. Like if a friend had a really friendly but calm pup. And then step it up from there. I wouldn't want to put her repeatedly in a stressful situation.
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

The first time I took my older dog to the park, she was terrified. She stuck by my heel for a while, but all the regular ladies sit in a circle under the trees and when the dogs kept showing interest in her, she took to lap surfing. It was sad but funny and adorable at the same time. She just went from human to human. After the first time, she realized she still comes home with me and the dogs are fun so she loved it. We don't go regularly anymore (since we moved away from that awesome one) and she'll still be weird the first day if I take her, but better after that. I think it's just overwhelming and maybe scary at first.

So.....I would say definitely try again, but I don't think dog parks are for every dog. Maybe you could do play dates? When we first moved here that's the only way I had social contact was dog play dates either as a walk or at each others homes.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I honestly don't know what the "right" way to do it would be, but I would probably try and find her a dog friend that she can meet in a more controlled circumstance and get used to. Like if a friend had a really friendly but calm pup. And then step it up from there. I wouldn't want to put her repeatedly in a stressful situation.
    This. She's just a baby, get her used to other dogs in a more controlled setting. Even something like petsmart would be better I would think than the park, since they'll all be on leashes. Were there other dogs in the store?

I would bring her back to the dog park as long as nobody else is there just to get her familiar with the setting, but probably not with other dogs again for a bit.
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    The first time I took my older dog to the park, she was terrified. She stuck by my heel for a while, but all the regular ladies sit in a circle under the trees and when the dogs kept showing interest in her, she took to lap surfing. It was sad but funny and adorable at the same time. She just went from human to human. After the first time, she realized she still comes home with me and the dogs are fun so she loved it. We don't go regularly anymore (since we moved away from that awesome one) and she'll still be weird the first day if I take her, but better after that. I think it's just overwhelming and maybe scary at first.

So.....I would say definitely try again, but I don't think dog parks are for every dog. Maybe you could do play dates? When we first moved here that's the only way I had social contact was dog play dates either as a walk or at each others homes.
    We are still relatively knew to Salt Lake, I'll do some research and see if I can't find a pet group or something on Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This. She's just a baby, get her used to other dogs in a more controlled setting. Even something like petsmart would be better I would think than the park, since they'll all be on leashes. Were there other dogs in the store?

I would bring her back to the dog park as long as nobody else is there just to get her familiar with the setting, but probably not with other dogs again for a bit.
    There were a couple of other dogs that came around. She just tucked her tail, sat down and shook until the other dogs were out of sight. They didn't even really get close to her.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Uh oh, she doesn't realize she's a dog too Poor puppy. I'm another vote for meeting a friend's dog in a controlled environment. But if it makes you feel any better my dog was scared at first too. He played with all the people and ran from all the dogs. He came around though.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Another good way to socialize her with supervision so that it's done correctly would be puppy training classes at Petsmart. They are around $90 for 6 weeks or so and they focus on socialization with other dogs and other people as well learning the basics (walking on a leash, sit, stay etc). It's fun for you and her and it accomplishes the goal of starting her down the road to obedience training.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Another good way to socialize her with supervision so that it's done correctly would be puppy training classes at Petsmart. They are around $90 for 6 weeks or so and they focus on socialization with other dogs and other people as well learning the basics (walking on a leash, sit, stay etc). It's fun for you and her and it accomplishes the goal of starting her down the road to obedience training.
    This and this.

She needs to be introduced to other dogs in a controlled environment. I would hold off on going back to the park until she has learned how to interact with other dogs. The park seems to be too overwhelming for her with a bunch of dogs running over to her to check her out.

9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I agree.

Puppy classes are awesome!