Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Nail caps

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nail caps

Advertisements
    How long of reapplying the cats nail caps should it take for him to finally give up with the chewing them off?
    I really don't want to declaw him, he is already susceptible to predators if he gets out because of his missing leg, but he is destroying our couches and bed. He has a scratching post, but scratching is not the issue. Since he is a leg down, his jumping skills are not up to par so he climbs the couches.

I know he can jump up onto the couch with out climbing, because I have seen him do it before. I guess climbing is just easier?

I was thinking about pet stairs, but i am worried that they would quickly turn into broken toddler stairs.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If the tips don't work I would recommend trimming your cat's claws instead.

Declawing is such a bad idea and I would never recommend it. They have to remove a whole knuckle, it is very painful, and some cats experience constant pain because of it.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Have you tried both horizontal and vertical scratchers as well as scratchers made of different surfaces? So cats can be very picky on what they choose to scratch on. Also, so he have scratchers in the room with the couch as well as the room with the bed? Lots of cats like to scratch when they wake up, so it is helpful to have scratchers in the rooms where they sleep. I have scratchers all over this house.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It is not an issue of scratching though. It is because he is climbing.
    I have not seen him actually scratch anything including his scratcher.

And I will not under any circumstances declaw him. Humane issues aside, if he got out he would already have a hard enough time defending himself, I am not taking away his claws.

Right now, he sleeps closed in the bathroom because he climbs up in the crib with the baby (who sleeps in my room, there is no door to close to keep him out of my room lol)
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does he climb the couches up the back of them? I've seen on Amazon and Etsy they have pieces of upholstery you can tack to furniture to protect it from cats but it kind of looks like it's more for if they swipe the corner or something:

http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Defe...TQAA3VKSNRSE4X

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1121045...h-or-chair-arm

But maybe there's a way to attach something to the couch so he can climb up it if he wants but it won't hurt the actual furniture?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He mainly climbs up the arms. He was climbing up the back of one, but I moved the couches around so the backs are not exposed for him to climb up anymore lol
    ETA: I had not thought about adding extra to the couch so it won't hurt the couch. I will look into that.
    Thanks!
  7. Senior Member
    I would just clip his nails. To me, its healthier that way for both objects and animal(s).
    If your cat tries to get out I would just improve his QoL inside with toys, a quiet place for him to escape to, and some sort of exercise.

Anyway, yeah, just clip the nails. I also found they dont do that freaky thing where they try to gnaw their nails off.
    Is it also possible you can put a cardboard box down near the couch and use that as a stepper for him?
  8. Senior Member
    Might sound weird, but can you or something for him to climb up, like a stool, to help him get to the couch easier? It seems like that's your main issue, so I'd work on getting him easier access
  9. Senior Member
    Many, many cats like to be up high. Do you have things around the house that he can get on and be up high? If not, I would consider getting him something he is allowed to get up on. Is he also doing it to look out the windows?
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Many, many cats like to be up high. Do you have things around the house that he can get on and be up high? If not, I would consider getting him something he is allowed to get up on. Is he also doing it to look out the windows?
    he can be on it, i just dont want it ruined. He mainly likes to come cuddle me and the baby. But he climbs the couches just to play as well. We have three couches in our living room in a u shape wtih end tables between. He likes to climb up and jump from couch to couch. He also loves to climb up and sit behind my head (no window there to look out)

He has a floor level window sill behind two of the couches (protected from children lol) to sit on to look out