Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: We have baby kittens!

1. Senior Member

We have baby kittens!

Advertisements
    OMG, I'm so in love!

My mama kitty just had her first litter of kittens today, a boy and a girl. She is doing great but scared us because she gave no indications she was going into labor & I had to be there for the birth because of her blood type (B) & the kittens blood type (the Dad was an A blood type)... So if they nursed in the first 24 hours they could die.

I will have to figure out how to get pics up (there is no way I can get pics up on my iPad or iPhone?). They are so tiny but we are feeding them every 2 hours and they are up quite a bit. The boy was 2.3 oz and is now up to 2.8 oz in 12 hours and the girl was 3.2 oz and is now at 3.8 oz

I'm so in love. Kids want to keep the boy already (well they want to keep both) but if the boy turns out to be a blue point like the cat we just had to put down 2 weeks ago, it will be hard for me to let him go.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    BABIES

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

What does the blood type have to do with nursing?

And why would you breed two cats that their offspring could die if they nurse?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    What does the blood type have to do with nursing?

And why would you breed two cats that their offspring could die if they nurse?
    It has to deal with the mom's antibodies in colostrum attacking the babies blood, like getting a blood transfusion of the wrong blood, so I just have to wait till the colostrum is gone. Then the kittens can nurse and everything else.... Which is now.

To the second, it wasn't my ideal breeding. But the other male wasn't taking. And my breeding mentor assured me that to open up the gene pool sometimes you have to breed to a different blood type. Aside from the first 24 hours they usually don't have any problems. Next time, if my other female has kittens around the same time, I will have the other mom surrogate during the first 24 hours. She is an A and A's make up 75-80% of the breed. Going back, I wouldn't have gotten a B female. But refusing to breed a B also closes off 20-25% of the breed's gene pool and then you have to worry about a whole other set of problems

But cats have different blood types all the time. Maine Coons for example have different blood types too but their litters are usually so large that if one or two kittens die, often times someone will think they had a problem with their heart or what not when really it was the blood type. And the majority of those breeders don't blood type
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Yay babies!
  6. Senior Member
    BraveLilToaster - It is called Feline Neonatal Isoerythrolysis. Most commonly found in kittens and foals.
  7. Senior Member
    Congrats on the babies!

I know you said it before..but what breed are they? (For google image purposes)
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    Congrats on the babies!

I know you said it before..but what breed are they? (For google image purposes)
    Thanks

Birmans
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  9. Senior Member
    Wow, from the images they look like fluffy saimese cats! They are adorable. ^^

Were you breeding for a new show quality?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    Wow, from the images they look like fluffy saimese cats! They are adorable. ^^

Were you breeding for a new show quality?
    I do show. Problem is, out west, they are much rarer than the East Coast so we are trying to open up the gene pool out here

I'm hoping I can expand the colors and patterns out west (they are mostly seal points out here) because in the east there are a lot more tabbies and colors out that way. Birmans can come in two patterns (well three, tabby, solids, and torties) and different colors (seal, blue, chocolate, lilac, and reds).... But the gene pool out west is so limited that for the most part the most common type you see out here are solid seal points.

Birmans are awesome cats, they are so sociable and personable like dogs but without the maintenance of a dog. Even their coat is a single coat and not a double coat like a Persian so I don't have the maintenance of a long haired breed either. They like to call Birmans the lazy man's longhair cat
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~