Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Trying to find a collar!!

1. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!

Trying to find a collar!!

Advertisements
    My dog is a pain to shop for!! I have a Catahoula, yes, it is an actual breed. Also known as a Louisiana Kerr. But anyways, she has a long slender neck and a head I swear is too small for her body. Plus she has very silky fur. The standard collars quite literally slide right off her head. I can't tell you how many times she has slipped out while on a walk. Weve tried harnesses, but she freezes up and just looks at us like were crazy. Its quite hard to walk a 50lb. dog who refuses to walk.

My question....does anyone out there with a long neck/small head dog (greyhound, whippet, etc.) that have used the wide tapered collars? If yes, what do you think of them?

I plan on getting her a cut collar for hunting, but I've got a feeling that wouldn't be too comfortable for every day wear.
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers

Sometimes damaged goods are more valuable because of their unique qualities.

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  2. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I have Italian Greyhounds and usually get regular martingale collars. This is my go-to place if I'm getting nice collars - k9 closet * style and comfort for the savvy pet The owner, Heidi, is great!

A girl I know in Hawaii has been making the tapered collars - she calls them hound collars - Hound Collars

I don't have any personal experience with the tapered ones, but I hear they're pretty good.
    ~Becca~

3. Senior Member
    One of my dogs likes to back out of his collar so I got one of these:

It's called a martingale collar. He can't slip out of it and it does not choke him like a choker would.

4. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Thanks yall!!!
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    You could try the harness again and have her wearing it when not walking so she is used to it. Now...this is from my experience with a cat, but the stubbornness seems familiar. When we first got the harness for my cat she would just roll over and not move. Eventually, she got up walked around pretty funny, then got the nack for it and was okay with the harness and would go outside with it on.
  6. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    You could try the harness again and have her wearing it when not walking so she is used to it. Now...this is from my experience with a cat, but the stubbornness seems familiar. When we first got the harness for my cat she would just roll over and not move. Eventually, she got up walked around pretty funny, then got the nack for it and was okay with the harness and would go outside with it on.
    We've tried that. She chews through the harness. We've gone through 3 Kong harnesses. And 2 Kong leashes. She is stubborn as hell!

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!