Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Why is my dog suddenly peeing in the house?!

1. Regular Member

Why is my dog suddenly peeing in the house?!

Advertisements
    Backstory: I'm living with an old friend "Lisa" (my college roommate) for a year while my husband is in Korea to save a crapload of money and pay off debt before we move to Germany. Long story short, Lisa led me to believe she had actually gotten her life together in the past couple years, but she as full of it & she's a train wreck of a person. She has a little terrier & treats her terribly - she shouldn't have the dog, but that's a whole other can of worms. Anyway, her dog never leaves the house. She doesn't poo or pee outside, only goes on pee pads in Lisa's room & she'll have accidents in the living room too & she's peed on Lisa's couch multiple times (which I don't sit on EVER). The poor dog has never been properly potty trained. Anyway, my little yorkie-poo Bailey is having a peeing issue this week. She peed on her brother's bed the other morning, which I threw out. Last night, she refused to go pee outside, and instead peed in my (new!) bed in the middle of the night right in front of me. I put her in her brother's crate for the rest of the night & she peed in there too. This is not normal - my dogs do not pee in the house. But I think Bailey might be starting to think she has permission to pee in the house since Lisa's dog does it & the smell of the pee pads is always in the next room, or she has an accident outside of Lisa's room, etc. And yes I use Nature's Miracle.

Lisa and I have argued about her dog. She lives in her own little world of denial & won't do anything about it. I don't think there's any physically wrong with Bailey, but I started her on a cranberry urinary supplement just in case. What would you do? How do I show her this is not acceptable behavior & encourage outside peeing again? I'm thinking just positive reinforcements in the yard & on walks, treats when she goes? She went outside this morning like normal. Also, not sure if this has anything to do with it. In the past week I started playing Nature Melodies while I go to sleep & during the night. Rain noise. Could I be causing Bailey to think it's raining & not want to pee outside? TIA. I'm losing my mind.

Oh also, Bailey's banned from my bed now (which we were going to do anyway as our behaviorist (for our other dog suggested) and I'd like to get some kind of guard for around my bed. Any suggestions? Bailey will sleeping in her brother's crate for a while instead of in her bed that normally sits on my bed (I was transitioning her).
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would think it is more of your dog marking what it feels is theirs. She may feel like this new dog is peeing everywhere and marking her territory so she feels inclined to do the same.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Regular Member
    AndreaClaire - thank you. I hadn't even thought of that. But you're probably right. Bailey is a territorial little munchkin. Any suggestions on how to prevent it, besides the obvious cleanliness procedures?
  4. Regular Member
    Now that I think about it, I have noticed that lately her confidence isn't what it normally is. I think this is the root issue I need to address.
  5. Regular Member
    AndreaClaire I can't thank you enough. I wouldn't have thought of the marking issue if you hadn't said it. I'm making changes this morning based on the protocol from our behaviorist & his awesome work with Bailey's brother. Good thing Lisa has a crate she doesn't use for her dog. Bailey's in it right now. Thank you!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The only way I would think of stopping it is to get the other dog to go outside or ask your roommate to the puppy pads in the bathroom/somewhere far away from your dog.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  7. Senior Member
    I would think it could also be caused because she is stressed due to the tension in the household.
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Take her to the vet to rule out a UTI.