Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K, so, Um....dogs

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

K, so, Um....dogs

Advertisements
    I took my puppahs to the vet today, routine exam, vax updates, heartworm test. I also wanted to inquire about changing them from frontline to another non topical option since they play with each other and get that shit in their mouths and on the couch the day they get it each month.

The vet, and the tech said they had no experience with chewables and thought they were fine but I'd have to get them online (I could put their info and they'd authorize it for us). Online the one they said (nexguard, frontline's chewable), is like twice as much and since he literally said "I have no experience with chewables and flea/tick meds aren't needed here" and the vet tech said "Nexguard is the frontline one!" and he said "oh yea, that one, if you want, use that one" ........................anyway I'm just confused.

He asked if we travel and I said yes, told him where. He said we only need flea/tick when we're traveling. This feels so wrong to me, but I really wanted a chewable/pill and now I'm so confused on which way to go. I'll pay the chewable price if needed even for my own comfort. But if I don't need it all the time (I've never freaking heard of that so I'm doubtful) then I guess I'll buy less than a year and just give it when we're traveling (?!).

Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I went to NAF training with this vet like three years ago. He's a lovely person and I believe he's good, but I also think he obviously hasn't bothered to update himself on new med studies so now I doubt him.

This is more of a rant but if you have a flea//tick med you lick, let me know. I got the heartguard for the next year since it's due soon, so the combo meds aren't options right now. I really had faith the vet would answer my questions and now I think they're postponed for a year unless I go off base. So fun, but I cannot complain, since base vet (he's a civilian with experience though so may just be our location of not "needing flea and tick" ..............two hours north where we hike, they can get ticks so ).

Anyway. I was happy to get this all done, but I'm kind of with the lack of knowledge. I rely on my pulmonologists to stay up to date on trials and meds and shit, so I guess I expected the same from my dogs doc, dagnabbit.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Nexguard! It's so much better than any of the topicals I tried. He's gotten a few ticks, but they've all been dead and no fleas since we switched. It's 100% better than Frontline or advantix.

I Eelizah
  3. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. Vet doesn't feel it's necessary to give flea or tick mess here either. . It makes zero sense to me why you wouldn't just do it anyways. They'll give it to me if I ask, but don't think it's important. I think we'll go with a chewable over topical as well when the time comes.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

i would personally always have a dog on flea and tick preventative not just when traveling...I use bravecto chewable...it is more expensive than topical but its only once every three months and is so much easier.
  5. Senior Member
    We just switched the dogs to bravecto! So far so good. One month down and still no fleas (we were getting fleas every other week with frontline. Bravecto doesn't cover heartworms, so we have them on Sentinal for the heartworms. Our vet was really into having us try Trifexis which is heartworm and fleas (and mites?), but we go for trail walks and sometimes pick up ticks, so I really wasn't comfortable with that. We had to order it online (through vets first choice) and I was a little scared, but our vet had to set it up, and then they called us to confirm that we were indeed people with dogs and not robots.
  6. Senior Member
    You legit don't need flea and tick meds here. Fleas can't live in the non humid climate unless they live in bushes low to the ground where moisture gets trapped, and we don't have plants like that in our yards.

When I did use flea and tick meds I used a holistic powder that I mixed in with their food. I'm normally not a fan of that kind of stuff but my small dog had a reaction to chewable and would cry and make pitiful noises when I put the topical stuff on. I tried the powder out of desperation and shockingly he never had an issue (and I had my groomer keep an eye out for it at his appointments).
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    You legit don't need flea and tick meds here. Fleas can't live in the non humid climate unless they live in bushes low to the ground where moisture gets trapped, and we don't have plants like that in our yards.

When I did use flea and tick meds I used a holistic powder that I mixed in with their food. I'm normally not a fan of that kind of stuff but my small dog had a reaction to chewable and would cry and make pitiful noises when I put the topical stuff on. I tried the powder out of desperation and shockingly he never had an issue (and I had my groomer keep an eye out for it at his appointments).
    but what about ticks?? do you not have them there at all?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

back home (idaho) we never used flea and tick stuff. If we were going to the mountains during tick season, we would put a collar on them. But that was only to deter ticks.
    Here in Missouri we have to have flea and tick stuff or they are infested. We are using nexguard for fleas and ticks and heartguard for heart worm. In Idaho, they would also not routinely give heartworm preventive. They wouldn't ask about it or suggest it like the vets here do.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We switched to the Bravecto chewable back in January when we moved down here. Cost is a little higher but it's so worth it to me. I don't have to worry about timing the baths with their treatment and the. Sorry about treating the dogs and watching the kids for a solid day to make sure they don't touch where the oil was applied on the dogs. Just easier all around so the cost is worth it.
  10. Senior Member
    We have been switching around chewables, trying to find one that we really like.

We did Trifexis, which I LOVED! I loved that it was all in one, the only downside was that it didn't cover ticks. We need Tick protection here.

Then we switched to NexGuard and HeartGuard. I haven't seen any fleas or ticks on them.

They are old enough now that we can use Bravecto. I have been hearing great things about it, and I like that it is only 4 times a year, which is super nice. I think we are going to start them on that next month and use Sentinel for HeartWorms and extra protection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast