Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireworks and thunderstorm fear

1. Senior Member

Fireworks and thunderstorm fear

Advertisements
    Finn has a thunder shirt, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. He's really really afraid of storms and fireworks, he climbs on the closest body and breathes heavy until it's over. He's gonna suffocate me. How tf do I calm him? We get thunderstorms like every afternoon here, and July 4 is coming up and we can see fireworks from our porch so I'm sure that's gonna be really fun for him.

What else can I do?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Crate. Sit in there with him.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Is he distracted by a long chew like a bully stick or puzzle toy? Does he have a crate/cave/den/safe place?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Is he distracted by a long chew like a bully stick or puzzle toy? Does he have a crate/cave/den/safe place?
    No crate anymore, but when he used to have one he really hated being in there when he was scared. He liked his crate normally but when he was panicking he needs to be near somebody. I don't honestly think anything will be able to distract him but I'll go get him something before Saturday and give it a try.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No crate anymore, but when he used to have one he really hated being in there when he was scared. He liked his crate normally but when he was panicking he needs to be near somebody. I don't honestly think anything will be able to distract him but I'll go get him something before Saturday and give it a try.
    It sucks when they are frightened. IDK. we had a monsoon the other day and I was sitting at my dining room table and kicked my foot back to find little dogs face She normally likes alone time in any of the three bedrooms, but she was under my chair on tile floor, where she would never be. Nothing really helps her (and she isn't like .............visibly panicked, just not comfy in her normal spots) so I just try to make myself available to have her near me (without coddling). If you're not home though I'm not really sure. Our other fucker just wants to go outside and sit in the storm, while giant dust clouds coat the house and get in his eyeballs. He loves that shit.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    Same here but I just snuggle him and let him be a sad little thing haha. I do close both of us in my room and turn on the fan and close the closet doors though, so he basically has to stay on the bed and can't hurt himself by trying to shove his body into the tiniest most hidden corner in the house like he does otherwise. Also I think it's really important in that situation to just be reallllly calm yourself, so I breathe really slow with him and try to get my heart rate down.
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Get meds from your vet. I did that for years until I got a thunder shirt for Cujo and it made ALL the difference. Before thundershirt it was doggy xanex though. You should be able to call your vet and get a prescription without an office visit.
  8. Senior Member
    Crank the ac and put some music on for him. It relaxes my pup and blocks the sound a little.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. Senior Member
    My dog has decided the best spot during thunderstorms is in the closet in the dark, preferably near the clothes that smell most like DH. Her liver function isn't great due to her age so she can't have the anti-anxiety medicine prescribed by the vet but we have found she loves lavender incense. They sell stuff at Petsmart and the like that are natural anti-anxiety remedies like lavender, chamomile, etc built into a collar or a spray. They are pricey so we just stick to the incense for now and let her use the closet as her 'safe spot'. Also, they say the key is to start the anti-anxiety stuff before the storm hits to get ahead of the stress.
  10. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

https://positively.com/contributors/...ing-fireworks/

This was just posted on a Golden Retriever facebook page I follow. Maybe one of those methods will help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast