Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WWYD (rehoming)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

WWYD (rehoming)

Advertisements
    First of all if you're gonna judge me get the fuck out because I'm in tears and feel bad enough already. I would NEVER rehome an animal for any reason unless I didn't see any other options. I hate when people rehome for stupid reasons like "oh he got too big" or "oh we realized we have no time after having him for 6 months", etc.

Arrow is not fucking learning anything. He pees in his crate almost every single night, multiple times usually. I just had to bathe him because he was covered in piss and now I'M covered in piss and water and scratches because he's impossible to get in the bath in the first place.

He only knows how to sit, sometimes. That's not the issue - it's that he never listens. If we say no, or make a noise, or move him gently trying to get him to stop doing whatever bad behavior he's doing, he doesn't fucking listen. He barely knows his own name.

He's getting aggressive. We thought he was just playing loudly with other dogs at the dog park but nope, he's picking fights. It used to be just some dogs he randomly didn't like but now it's LOTS of dogs LOTS of times. He's also barking and growling at people that walk by when I'm letting him out.

Nothing we do is working. I've looked at trainers but the ones in the area are like $200 an hour and we couldn't afford that even if I was working. If we could find a cheaper one, maybe. But $200 an hour is a LOT.

If we were to rehome him he'd go back to the breeder we got him from, as that's in our contract with her and I know she'd be the best place for him. I honestly find myself thinking about how much easier my life was before we got him multiple times a day.

I emailed the breeder asking for her advice. Her dogs are all so well trained (I mean, so is our other one, so idfk what we've done wrong with Arrow) but maybe she will have some insight or something.

He's still a puppy. He's only 8 months old. But there's been very little progression in any of his training and his aggression is only getting worse. He's a Great Dane for those of you who don't know so he's only going to get bigger and more destructive. And no, his size alone isn't the issue, his breed isn't the issue, it's him. Kilo is perfectly well behaved and trained.

This is half a vent, half a please give me advice. Idk what to do here. I'm completely at a loss.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oh and we've taken him to the vet and there's nothing wrong with him physically that makes him pee so much at night
  3. Senior Member
    Not judging you because I had a lot of the same issues with my second dog. She bonded with our other dog (who is extremely well behaved) and didn't want to have much to do with DH or myself for a short while after we rescued her. She exhibited a lot of the behaviors you mentioned. But, I refused to re-home her and she did turn out to be a very good dog over time (she's my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    Oh and we've taken him to the vet and there's nothing wrong with him physically that makes him pee so much at night
    This may be an obvious question, but have you tried taking his water away around 8 pm?

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Get him back to the breeder. What breed?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Not judging you because I had a lot of the same issues with my second dog. She bonded with our other dog (who is extremely well behaved) and didn't want to have much to do with DH or myself for a short while after we rescued her. She exhibited a lot of the behaviors you mentioned. But, I refused to re-home her and she did turn out to be a very good dog over time (she's my favorite).

This may be an obvious question, but have you tried taking his water away around 8 pm?
    We've tried taking it away as early as 5. No luck.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Get him back to the breeder. What breed?
    Great Dane.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    We've tried taking it away as early as 5. No luck.
    Wow.

As far as training goes, what have you tried so far? I ask because I don't want to recommend a bunch of stuff you've already tried.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Wow.

As far as training goes, what have you tried so far? I ask because I don't want to recommend a bunch of stuff you've already tried.
    Treats, praise, making weird "EH!" noises to try and stop him from getting into things, giving him toys to redirect him, letting him watch Kilo do tricks/hit the door to go outside, yelling "no!", spanking (not hard I don't beat my dog -_- ), taking him to dog parks with and without Kilo, talking him on walks which is okay until a person or dog gets somewhat close...
  9. Senior Member
    I think giving him back to the breeder is the best thing for him. It's not like he's ending up in a shelter or something, he's going back to a person who knows how to deal with dogs and can probably deal with the issues you're having. It's a much better alternative to keeping him, him getting worse or more aggressive, especially if you can't afford a trainer.

10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

No judgement here.

I think if it were me, I would talk to the breeder and find out who she uses to train, what methods, if she could help me, etc. Try to work something out with her. If that route didn't work, medically everything was fine, I had tried other training and it didn't work... then rehome. Maybe you just aren't the right owner and he isn't the right dog for you. I feel like that about my MIL and she is a human.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast