Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the decision to say goodbye

1. Senior Member

Making the decision to say goodbye

Advertisements
    How do you bring yourself to do it?

My vet just told me that not only does my 13 year old cat have early kidney disease, but what we thought could be an abscess anal gland, is a tumor. He is 99% sure it is cancerous just from looking at it but he sent it off for biopsy. Either way he said, if we operated, it would take out half of his anus and he would be incontinent after that.

I can't imagine myself ever doing that to my cat. It would hurt too much to see him suffer, it is already bad enough to see him in pain.

What sucks is... His 13th birthday is on the 2nd. So I think we have made the decision to manage his pain until we can put him to sleep. But I just don't know when or how. I think I'm still in shock. He is my first cat and the entire reason I fell in love with the breed & got into breeding and showing... And while I'm about to have my first litter in 2 weeks, I will have to say goodbye to the one who started it all.

I'm hoping maybe he can last till the 3rd. At least DH will be home so he can say goodbye, Matty always adored DH the most.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I'm so sorry.

I had to put my cat down after 19 years of having her (since I was 3!) and it was hard to say goodbye, but easy to let her go in peace. I didn't want to take her in at first, but I was being selfish. She would eat and eat but keep losing weight. She wouldn't move very much and when she did it was obviously painful. When your animal is in constant pain and their quality of life is bad, it's time to say goodbye.

3. Senior Member
    I'm sorry.

We had to put down my family dog two Christmases ago. It was so hard and it hurts just thinking about it now. But he was really sick and we didn't want him to suffer anymore. My mom had a vet who does house calls come to our family home so that we didn't have to go to an office. It would have been too hard.

I can empathize with you. I don't have kids so my pets are like family and it is really hard to let them go. .

4. Moderator

I am so sorry. It is such a hard, heart wrenching decision.

We had to do this with our dog a couple of years ago. It was horrible to see him in pain, so that is what I based my decision on. It was hard to explain it to the kids, but they didn't want to see him suffer either.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.
  5. Senior Member
    Soooo soooo sooo sry

I feel your pain! I had my first dog from 2-15 and it was devestating to put him to sleep. His hips were sooo bad, we tried a wheel chair but he wasnt having it. Then we had him in depends, my mom said she knew it was time when she went to help him up and he snapped at her (his whole life would never hurt a fly). She knew his pain was too much and we were being selfish. We spoileddd him the day we were putting him down with steaks, chcoclate anything he wanted haha.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks guys. I thought I was so strong till I had to leave him at the vets so they could figure out what was going on & at that point when I handed him over, the vet tech said "What's the best number to reach you at?" And I just couldn't speak as I got got choked up. Then I just went back to my car and cried. I didn't even have the diagnosis by that point but a part of me sort of felt like it wouldn't be good
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    Thanks guys. I thought I was so strong till I had to leave him at the vets so they could figure out what was going on & at that point when I handed him over, the vet tech said "What's the best number to reach you at?" And I just couldn't speak as I got got choked up. Then I just went back to my car and cried. I didn't even have the diagnosis by that point but a part of me sort of felt like it wouldn't be good
    Awww sooo heart wrenching!!! Just try to remember the good times and remember that you gave him the best life he could have possibly had!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    So sorry to hear that. We had to put our one cat down because of a tumor in her throat. The vet said that we could operate, but it would be hard for her to recover from surgery. It was best to not let her suffer anymore. Best of luck.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    I'm so sorry
  10. Senior Member
    I'm so sorry.

We had to let our cat go 2 years ago from liver failure and it was very hard. I'm so sorry you have to make this decision.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast