Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate training is going to kill me.

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Crate training is going to kill me.

Advertisements
    I know it's the best thing for her. I know she's safer there than anywhere else. But this has been so hard. She screams and cries and doesn't let up.

We've tried making the crate fun with crate games during the day, her favorite toy is in there, it's padded and comfy, she just hates it

Last night I finally moved the crate out of our bedroom and just let her cry in the living room. I set an alarm every 2 hours to let her out, but it was so hard listening to her.

I'm about to lose it. How long did it take for your dog to get used to the crate? Charlie is 11 weeks now, I think, and I see no signs of it getting better in the near future.
  2. Senior Member
    Clementine was the fucking wooooorst with crate training. Stick with it. Continue making it a good place, give her treats when she's in there, do everything you can think of to make her feel good in there. I didn't think Clem was ever gonna get it but she's so good now! I wish I could remember how old she was but she's 8 months old now and she's been ok in there for a long time now. She goes right in when it's bedtime, I don't even have to tell her anymore. And she sleeps in it with the door open. Just be patient!
  3. Senior Member
    Moose and Goose never cried in their crate, but I'm think it's because they were beside each other in their crates so they had that comfort.

We treated them every time we put them in with a lot of praise. We stuffed and froze a kong and put that in there with them too. So now they go in there just to take a nap or when there is a lot going on and they feel overwhelmed.

Keep up with it! It will get easier!
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

Do/did you guys cover the crate? We've been putting a blanket on it, but maybe that's making it scarier?
  5. Senior Member

From what I can remember when my family got our first puppy she slept outside the first summer on her bed. Then we moved the bed to the crate and had her inside after awhile. I think they say what helps too is if you put a piece of your clothing in there (obviously something you don't care about) so she can smell you. We would just have her in there at night since during the day someone was usually home. And during the day we had it open and most of the time she'd go in there to relax. Also all of our dogs have not been allowed in the bedrooms. So I dunno if that has anything to do with it?? Sometimes she wouldn't wanna sleep in there but we were very consistent about it and she learned.

Sorry if I'm not much help like I said I've only had one puppy and we've had other dogs but they were older when we got them. Hope it gets better
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jazzylady514 View Post

From what I can remember when my family got our first puppy she slept outside the first summer on her bed. Then we moved the bed to the crate and had her inside after awhile. I think they say what helps too is if you put a piece of your clothing in there (obviously something you don't care about) so she can smell you. We would just have her in there at night since during the day someone was usually home. And during the day we had it open and most of the time she'd go in there to relax. Also all of our dogs have not been allowed in the bedrooms. So I dunno if that has anything to do with it?? Sometimes she wouldn't wanna sleep in there but we were very consistent about it and she learned.

Sorry if I'm not much help like I said I've only had one puppy and we've had other dogs but they were older when we got them. Hope it gets better
    I'll get an old dirty t-shirt and stick it in there. I'm ready to try anything at this point. From now on, she will sleep in the living room. Puppy stuff contradicts it's self all over the place. Some people say put the crate next to you bed. When they cry stick your hand out. Others say, separate room, let them CIO. It's so hard to know what the fair thing to do is. I'll give anything a shot at this point though. I'm so tired of sleeping at 10 minute intervals.
  7. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Apollo was terrible at first. I finally caved and spent a few nights sleeping on the floor with my fingers in the crate and then next to our bed where he could see us helped him calm down.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

8. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

She also couldn't care less about a stuffed kong. Literally no interest. Gave her a puppy kong with peanut butter and she looked at me like I was an idiot. That was a waste of money.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    I'll get an old dirty t-shirt and stick it in there. I'm ready to try anything at this point. From now on, she will sleep in the living room. Puppy stuff contradicts it's self all over the place. Some people say put the crate next to you bed. When they cry stick your hand out. Others say, separate room, let them CIO. It's so hard to know what the fair thing to do is. I'll give anything a shot at this point though. I'm so tired of sleeping at 10 minute intervals.
    I'd say do what works best for you. This was at my parents house and usually someone was always happened to be up late at night in the living room where her crate was.
  10. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Piper took a lot longer than Lucy did. Lucy is really anxious so I think the crate helped her. We had to move Piper to the living room because of her whining too. I can't remember the age that she was fine with it though. Good luck, its hard and really annoying lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast