Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 3 legged cat help

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

3 legged cat help

Advertisements
    So I have Highway (who the vet confirmed is a boy, even though we were told girl early on) and he is missing one of his back legs. From where he was found, we are guessing he was feral and he acts like he is feral.

Right now he stays in a covered doggy playpen in my bathroom. How long should I limit his access to the house? I know at some point we need to let him out of the play pen, and eventually out of the bathroom to explore but I don't want him to get lost in the house or get hurt trying to jump or climb onto stuff.

He has a follow up appointment 2 weeks from when they took his leg, which is a week from monday. So I know I am going to keep him contained until then at the very least.

Any ideas on when I should let him venture out as he pleases?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have no idea. I would ask the vet while at the checkup.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Senior Member
    I would ask the vet as well but I'm also not sure I would let a truly feral cat roam the house, ever.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Cats are pretty smart and resilient. After his follow up, I'd start letting him roam.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Cats are pretty smart and resilient. After his follow up, I'd start letting him roam.
    This! Id ask the vet for advice on how to keep him safe but I think Highway will figure it out.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I would ask the vet as well but I'm also not sure I would let a truly feral cat roam the house, ever.
    haha! Right? That is actually one of my main worries. I want himto be a little less feral when we let him out or else we will never see him or pet him again I am sure

We have had feral kittens inside before, and once they got out of the play pen (I am using a different pen and cover this time) and we had to actually use a live trap to catch them. In the house. We had to set up live traps in our house lol
  7. Senior Member
    I have no experience to offer but I found this link: taming feral kittens

the shortened version:
    The process of taming kittens can take from 2 to 6 weeks (longer for some exceptionally skittish kittens) depending on their age and state of wildness...
    ... Within a week the kittens should have made considerable progress. Each kitten will develop at a different rate. They should have access to the room and can be placed in the cage only if necessary...
    ... A large room may overwhelm a timid kitten and cause increased fear. Bedrooms can be a problem. If kittens become frightened and go under the bed it can be difficult to get them to come out and stressful for them if you force them out. Also try to kitten-proof the room as much as possible before letting the kittens out into the room. Seal up any nooks and crannies where frightened kittens may enter and become trapped or inaccessible to you.