Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is pet insurance a joke?

1. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Is pet insurance a joke?

Advertisements
    Charlie has a savings account for emergencies (thank god, especially since we already had a visit last night), but I'm curious if anyone has reviews on pet insurance.

Banfield is out of the question.
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    It depends. Before I answer, I cant remember, do you have a breed or a mutt? Adult or puppy?
  3. Senior Member
    Pet Insurance is great unless you can have about $10,000 set aside specifically for pet emergencies, per pet. We just recently got Embrace pet insurance for Sherlock. It's one of the top rated ones and you get a discount if you are a USAA member. Just go on the USAA website and go to "Other Insurances" and you can find it. There are 2 types of insurance, Medical and Wellness. Wellness, IMO, is definitely not worth it, but the medical is.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have embrace too. We haven't needed it yet, but it makes me feel better to have it.

I Eelizah
  5. Senior Member
    We wish we had gotten it for our dog. Radiographs, MRIs, spinal taps, medications, etc. etc. etc. really add up.
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    It depends. Before I answer, I cant remember, do you have a breed or a mutt? Adult or puppy?
    Full golden retriever puppy.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Full golden retriever puppy.
    So unfortunately, pet insurance companies often opt out of breed related diseases, and often those are the super expensive things to treat and include a LOT of things. Also unfortunately, goldens have a literal crap ton of breed-related diseases (hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, tons of different types of cancers, heart disease, allergies etc...), so some things wont be covered by insurance. If you have 7k that you can set aside for medical bills, I would say dont bother with insurance. However, if that would be hard for you, I recommend insurance, but know that even with that, it wont cover some things. If you had a mutt, I would say do it, always, its the best and will save you TONS over your life, but with breeds, its hit or miss. I would say my clients have the best luck with Embrace and Trupanion, but look at exemptions and what they wont pay for- I salways acre about will they pay for emergency care/emergency surgery, as those things tend to be the most expensive.

ETA: also, if you are onna get it, get it sooner, because if something medical happens, they 100% will never cover a pre-existing condition.
  8. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    We have healthy paws. It was the #1 rated and it has saved us more than its cost. Zoe will never not have it.
  9. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    So unfortunately, pet insurance companies often opt out of breed related diseases, and often those are the super expensive things to treat and include a LOT of things. Also unfortunately, goldens have a literal crap ton of breed-related diseases (hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, tons of different types of cancers, heart disease, allergies etc...), so some things wont be covered by insurance. If you have 7k that you can set aside for medical bills, I would say dont bother with insurance. However, if that would be hard for you, I recommend insurance, but know that even with that, it wont cover some things. If you had a mutt, I would say do it, always, its the best and will save you TONS over your life, but with breeds, its hit or miss. I would say my clients have the best luck with Embrace and Trupanion, but look at exemptions and what they wont pay for- I salways acre about will they pay for emergency care/emergency surgery, as those things tend to be the most expensive.

ETA: also, if you are onna get it, get it sooner, because if something medical happens, they 100% will never cover a pre-existing condition.
    at the vet hospital I went to last night they had a brochure for Trupanion and that's what really sparked my interest.

Hmmm...we don't have 7 grand set aside, more like 5. We could probably get a little more together. Lots to think about.
  10. Senior Member
    We have Healthy Paws and they are amazing! We have a pure bred German Shepherd who in his first year of life decided to scratch his cornea on 3 separate occassions. Healthy Paws covered everything at 90% once we met our $100 deductible and it was so easy to get reimbursed. We just uploaded the bills online and they sent us a reimbursement check with a week.

There are a few things to look out for with pet insurance. A lot of pet insurance companies have a "per incident" deductible which means you have to pay your deductible with every incident. What I love about Healthy Paws is that their deductible is an annual one. That was a huge life saver when Mason (our dog) ended up with several hundred dollars of bills from scratching his cornea 3 separate times. We only had to pay our deductible once that year instead of with each separate incident.

The other thing to look out for, which Vino already mentioned, is that many pet insurance companies won't cover breed related illnesses such as hip dysplasia and such. That ruled the majority of insurance companies for us since German Shepherds are prone to a lot of breed specific problems. Healthy Paws was one of the few insurance companies we found that would cover breed related illnesses. So that was the other big selling point.

I am so glad we got pet insurance for Mason and he will have it for as long as he lives. Even if we never have to use it again it is just nice to know that he is covered if anything were to happen. If he needed major surgery or God forbid ended up with cancer it's comforting to know that his medical expenses would be taken care of.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast