Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help me teach my idiot puppy to stay in the gd house

1. Senior Member

Help me teach my idiot puppy to stay in the gd house

Advertisements
    Clementine just squeezed past my legs out the front door and took off. She only made it to the end of the driveway but how do I put the fear of god into her so she never does it again?

We have a really open floor plan, like a baby gate isn't really an option and while I could just wrangle her and put her away every time the door needs to be opened, that might not be an option every time. What do? None of my other dogs have ever done this.
  2. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    What about a long baby gate? Just place in front of the door, arched so you can swing it open when needed.

I just searched "long standing baby gate".
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If you google around there's a lot of tips for training a good recall for a dog. Some dogs are easier than others, and some are motivated by different things, so it can be kind of trial and error to figure out what works best for them. A good sit/stay (for when you have to open the door and she's loose in the house) and a good recall (just in case she gets out) can be literal lifesavers. Those two plus "leave it" can save lots of heartache and frustration.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    What about a long baby gate? Just place in front of the door, arched so you can swing it open when needed.

I just searched "long standing baby gate".
    This would be a good idea and I thank you for it, but my grandma would not let me put something like that out in the open and ruin the aesthetic of her perfectly decorated house she's pissed enough as it is that I brought this puppy here, she's not gonna let me ruin her decor too.
  5. Senior Member
    You need to teach her to sit and stay when your going to walk out the door. My parents dog is like that. I have to tell him, "get back" until he's backed up about 5 feet and then I walk out the door. Also, always look her in the eye when you're giving the command. ETA I'd work on training her vs buying a gate. The gate won't solve the problem which is her urge to run.

6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I trained Peeps not to crowd the door. She has a radius she's allowed to be in, but any closer to the door is not allowed. I used a combination of verbal commands like "back" with physical cues. I would say "back" and push her to her proper place with my shins (I would kind of shuffle into her). When she was in the right spot, I rewarded her. The physical contact is supposedly helpful to them because dogs use a lot of body language to understand things.

7. Senior Member
    Work on a Sit and Stay (for at ~30 seconds) every single time you open the door (front or back) to let her out. At first, do it with the door closed, and work the command even not hear the door. Then, work on it near the door, sometimes opening after, sometimes not. Then when she masters that, work on having her sit, then opening the door and making her stay until you release her.

The sit and stay command can be used and practiced not just at the door, so that she knows and understands it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Work on a Sit and Stay (for at ~30 seconds) every single time you open the door (front or back) to let her out. At first, do it with the door closed, and work the command even not hear the door. Then, work on it near the door, sometimes opening after, sometimes not. Then when she masters that, work on having her sit, then opening the door and making her stay until you release her.

The sit and stay command can be used and practiced not just at the door, so that she knows and understands it.
    This.

9. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Lady has to sit every time a door is being opened, I got it pounded into her head enough that she now does it without a command. For sure do the sit and stay command, I randomly pick up treats and just do random commands with Lady it keeps her mind active and it makes training a game for her.
  10. Senior Member
    We started sit and stay with meals with making them wait until the bowl was on the ground before getting up and eating when we said ok and then making them wait longer and longer. They seemed to really grasp it quickly since the stakes were so high Then we were able to practice it with the door and when we wanted them to stay away from company since their tails are whips of death.