Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: rattlesnake vaccine for dogs?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

rattlesnake vaccine for dogs?

Advertisements
    Vino I would love to have your opinion on this! And anyone else who has used it/heard of it.

I've gotten several emails from our HOA lately about rattlesnakes in our neighborhood. We don't let the dogs out unsupervised but our yard's also pretty big so I don't think I would 100% be sure that they would never get bitten if there did happen to be snake hiding somewhere and they were running around.

I have to call our vet to get a quote but the people I was talking to said it was about $35-$40 per dog and it could be a good idea because the treatment for bites can be extremely expensive.

It's not a bad price so I'm considering doing it but I wanted to know how well it works and if you think it's worth it.
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I know jack diddly about rattlesnake vaccines since I am northeast, but Ill text my friend in NV to see what she knows.
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

They offered us the vaccine but we declined it since we don't live in a very rural area and the only time he's outside alone is in our small backyard. My dad does get his dogs the vaccine though because they live on a 5 acre lot out in Liberty Hill and he's had rattlesnakes before!

The primary dogs that I see get the rattlesnake vaccine are the hunting dogs and the ones out there in the wooded areas a good portion of the time. If your pups are primarily in your yard or home it may not be a huge deal but it's up to you!

Which vet do you use too btw? We take Butch to the vet in Georgetown and we love her, Georgetown Animal Hospital off of Austin Ave. All the vaccines we've had through them have been between $15 and $20 but I don't know if the rattlesnake would be more since it's a seasonal vaccination or if it would run about the same price.

4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I know jack diddly about rattlesnake vaccines since I am northeast, but Ill text my friend in NV to see what she knows.
    Thank you! I appreciate you reaching out ... curious to hear what she will say

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    They offered us the vaccine but we declined it since we don't live in a very rural area and the only time he's outside alone is in our small backyard. My dad does get his dogs the vaccine though because they live on a 5 acre lot out in Liberty Hill and he's had rattlesnakes before!

The primary dogs that I see get the rattlesnake vaccine are the hunting dogs and the ones out there in the wooded areas a good portion of the time. If your pups are primarily in your yard or home it may not be a huge deal but it's up to you!

Which vet do you use too btw? We take Butch to the vet in Georgetown and we love her, Georgetown Animal Hospital off of Austin Ave. All the vaccines we've had through them have been between $15 and $20 but I don't know if the rattlesnake would be more since it's a seasonal vaccination or if it would run about the same price.
    Sometimes we take them by the lake and I know there's snakes out there (I see them sometimes when I ride the trails) but even in our neighborhood the snake removal people have been out 3 times so far.

We take them to Koy Animal Clinic on Williams Drive since it's right by our house ... they've always been good and plus they have Saturday hours which is really helpful. That does sound like a good price on vaccines though, ours are a bit more than that I think.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post

My parents dog got bit twice in their backyard by a rattlesnake and they live near a city. It might be something to consider even if they're just in a backyard! I've never heard of a rattlesnake vaccine so idk if they got it or not.
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Sometimes we take them by the lake and I know there's snakes out there (I see them sometimes when I ride the trails) but even in our neighborhood the snake removal people have been out 3 times so far.

We take them to Koy Animal Clinic on Williams Drive since it's right by our house ... they've always been good and plus they have Saturday hours which is really helpful. That does sound like a good price on vaccines though, ours are a bit more than that I think.
    My mom used to take her dogs to Koy! They're nice, I like them but I really like Dr. Haley way more! They have Saturday clinic hours and the vet office is brand new since they demolished their old clinic and built a new one! They're great. Dr. Tarleton is another really good vet in Georgetown and he's pretty affordable too I've just heard he's really hard to get in with because he's always booked solid!

Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    My parents dog got bit twice in their backyard by a rattlesnake and they live near a city. It might be something to consider even if they're just in a backyard! I've never heard of a rattlesnake vaccine so idk if they got it or not.
    Our yard is really small (I mean it's not horribly small that he has no running space or anything) so we're really hyper aware of everything in our backyard and of his surroundings when we're out in the neighborhood! That is a good point though that is can still happen.

I know they do offer rattlesnake avoidance classes where they train dogs to avoid snakes... I'm not sure how effective it is but I've heard that thrown out there before that they have training available.

7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    So my friend in SD answered, still waiting for my friend in NV to answer, but SD friend said that its a yearly vaccine. It wont stop a rattlesnake reaction, but it makes it much smaller than it would have been/can stop a reaction for super small bites. She recommends it to anyone who hikes west of the missouri river, and if you dont hike, then its based on your wishes/comfort level.

She said she sometimes sees vaccine reactions in dogs less than 30 lbs, so she likes to separate it from other vaccines (ie. vaccinate at a different time).
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    But I do know anti-venom for treating post-bite is SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE, and rattlesnake bites can cost you quite a bit.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

But I do know anti-venom for treating post-bite is SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE, and rattlesnake bites can cost you quite a bit.
    That's one of my concerns (as well as just safety in general ... I don't want to pay a lot but it'd be even worse if we couldn't get treatment in time). One of our friends' dogs got bit by a snake and the total bill from the e-vet was almost $2000.

Sorry I didn't see your first reply lol!

So my friend in SD answered, still waiting for my friend in NV to answer, but SD friend said that its a yearly vaccine. It wont stop a rattlesnake reaction, but it makes it much smaller than it would have been/can stop a reaction for super small bites. She recommends it to anyone who hikes west of the missouri river, and if you dont hike, then its based on your wishes/comfort level.

She said she sometimes sees vaccine reactions in dogs less than 30 lbs, so she likes to separate it from other vaccines (ie. vaccinate at a different time).
    Thanks so much for this! That's really good info ... with all the issues we've had with our area I think I'd be more comfortable getting them the shots so I'll talk to DH about it when he gets home.