Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sick Fire Belly Toad

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Sick Fire Belly Toad

Advertisements
    The roommate and I has/had 3 fire belly toads, she got big crickets the other day after we moved, and well the toads didn't eat them all and they all got left in there together.... Yeah the crickets killed two of them, so we're down to one. That one isn't looking so great. I did a quick clean out of the container, put it in water. It's moving some, but it's not it's normal perky self. Back legs are splayed out more, not really moving much.... Is there anything else I can do for it????

Also aren't they communal creatures, should we potentially get another one after it's better? I feel bad, I've been so tired the last few days I forgot to take the extra crickets out and I didn't know if it was the same as others that crickets will eat the reptiles they're left in with.
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    The roommate and I has/had 3 fire belly toads, she got big crickets the other day after we moved, and well the toads didn't eat them all and they all got left in there together.... Yeah the crickets killed two of them, so we're down to one. That one isn't looking so great. I did a quick clean out of the container, put it in water. It's moving some, but it's not it's normal perky self. Back legs are splayed out more, not really moving much.... Is there anything else I can do for it????

Also aren't they communal creatures, should we potentially get another one after it's better? I feel bad, I've been so tired the last few days I forgot to take the extra crickets out and I didn't know if it was the same as others that crickets will eat the reptiles they're left in with.

I'm not familiar with FBTs, I am more on the lizard side. I have to ask HOW long they were in there that they were allowed to do enough damage to kill the toads? I also don't comprehend the logic that you knew crickets will eat what they are left with but toads would be the exception? Your best bet is to find a herp vet, if you have to call regular vets and ask them to recommend someone do that. There is a good chance he needs medicine to heal. I wouldn't introduce any other animal to him until he's completely healed and even then follow proper quarantine processes. Separate habitats away from each other, wash hands in between handling anything between them, for at least 3-4 months. I don't know if toads are vulnerable to crypto but I've seen a gecko with it and it isn't pretty. It will wipe out everything. I can ask for tips on my gecko forums. In the future look into alternative food sources, crickets aren't good food for anything. Pick up some dubia roaches, they are higher in protein and have a better meat to shell ratio than crickets and they also won't eat your animals.

Also please do some research before getting another exotic pet.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Back legs splayed = bad. Go to a herp vet, or go to a normal vet for euthanasia. In the future, I recommend researching animals and their environmental/food/water needs before getting them, and not trusting pet stores since they know diddly.
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Well update, it got out of the water, back legs aren't has splayed anymore and is currently positioned like it's debating on climbing up the sides.

To clarify, I only included myself because has another adult in the house and self proclaimed animal person I feel responsible. She's asked for me for advice before I have straight up told her that exotics are not my forte. The only reason I knew the cricket thing was because I watched my brother's bearded dragon and that was something he pounded into my head. Lesson learned, I'm doing research on them as we speak so at least one adult can be educated. I didn't realized how little she knew.

Like I said I feel really bad, I've been running on nearly empty for a few days now and it just slipped my mind, not an excuse.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'd definitely still bring it in, especially considering even vino said to...

either way, just because it suddenly seems to be doing better right now, doesn't mean it is. Arrow woke up with red gunky eyes, I consulted dr. Google who said it was probably just allergies (there's tons of pollen here so it made sense). It stared to clear up so I didn't take him in. A day later it was AWFUL. I had to clean them out just so he could open his eyes all the way.

Point being - take it in. Idk anything about exotic animals, but that's why I don't have any.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    Well update, it got out of the water, back legs aren't has splayed anymore and is currently positioned like it's debating on climbing up the sides.

To clarify, I only included myself because has another adult in the house and self proclaimed animal person I feel responsible. She's asked for me for advice before I have straight up told her that exotics are not my forte. The only reason I knew the cricket thing was because I watched my brother's bearded dragon and that was something he pounded into my head. Lesson learned, I'm doing research on them as we speak so at least one adult can be educated. I didn't realized how little she knew.

Like I said I feel really bad, I've been running on nearly empty for a few days now and it just slipped my mind, not an excuse.
    Your OP painted a VERY different picture. I feel like you're backpeddling here, if it's her pets then why did you say that YOU forgot to take the crickets out, not her?

I also am very skeptical from it going from such dire conditions, it's companions succumbed to their wounds and died but all it needed to perk up was a little bit of water? Take it to a herp vet, have it examined.