Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Experience with Pet Travel Overseas

1. Regular Member

Nutts Experience with Pet Travel Overseas

Advertisements
    Hey Everyone:

I need some help and I need it ASAP. My FI is considering extending his assignment if he can get me and the dog to come out there. Now I'm not against this in any way, shape or form. However, I'm a little concerned about getting the dog over there. I've done all my research and I understand the process and the transportation, and I've talked to the vet and our trainer. Now I would like to hear about personal experiences taking your pets , more specifically dogs, overseas. How did you prepare your animal for travel, how old were they, how did they handle the trip, did you military transport or commercial?

My FI and I have 5 days to determine if we are going to try and get the dog overseas of if he should just come home when he is scheduled to. My Dog is about 85 pounds and somewhere between 9-11 years old. She has major separation anxiety and has broken out of every crate we've ever tried to train her in. I admit I'm pretty anxious to put her on the plan but my FI points out that the base he is stationed at has lot of pets, some of which are older than ours, so he doesn't think it would be that big a deal to get her over there.

Thanks!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First, where are overseas is he stationed? Each country has it's own rules and regulations so that's a huge part of the puzzle to help you.

Second, because your dog is older, you MAY have issues getting her health certificate for her to fly purely on age alone. My lab mutt was around 13-14 last year when we moved from Guam and the only reason he got the ok to fly from Guam to the East coast was because the vet knew us and fudged his age on the paperwork and told me to never ever ask a vet to allow him to fly again because it wouldn't happen. A lot of the reason the vet even did that was because we were in Guam, it wasn't like we could leave him with family.
  3. Regular Member
    He's stationed in Japan right now. We know that we can keep her on base with us for the quarantine, but I never heard of anyone having problems with the health certificate with age and didn't even consider that we needed to think about that.
  4. Senior Member

My dogs flew from Portugal to Japan then Japan to Turkey. For Japan I had to do a lot of medical paperwork(FAVN, quarantine, health cert) but for Turkey all they needed was updated shots and Health Certificate.

I don't know if I would fly a dog to Japan at that age with anxiety issues. Just because there are older dogs there doesn't mean your dog will be ok. Those dogs maybe have flown before and don't have anxiety problems.
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by NightBreeze View Post
    Hey Everyone:

I need some help and I need it ASAP. My FI is considering extending his assignment if he can get me and the dog to come out there. Now I'm not against this in any way, shape or form. However, I'm a little concerned about getting the dog over there. I've done all my research and I understand the process and the transportation, and I've talked to the vet and our trainer. Now I would like to hear about personal experiences taking your pets , more specifically dogs, overseas. How did you prepare your animal for travel, how old were they, how did they handle the trip, did you military transport or commercial?

My FI and I have 5 days to determine if we are going to try and get the dog overseas of if he should just come home when he is scheduled to. My Dog is about 85 pounds and somewhere between 9-11 years old. She has major separation anxiety and has broken out of every crate we've ever tried to train her in. I admit I'm pretty anxious to put her on the plan but my FI points out that the base he is stationed at has lot of pets, some of which are older than ours, so he doesn't think it would be that big a deal to get her over there.

Thanks!
    The bolded is what I'd be most concerned with. What happens if she busts out of the crate while in the cargo hold? She could seriously injure herself and/or die. It doesn't matter that other dogs are on base, if getting here there is as stressful for her as you think it would be, there's no way I'd bring her.
    ~Becca~

6. Senior Member
    For Japan, you will also deal with a possible heat embargo if flying during the summer. Not insurmountable as many people deal with it, but it's another thing to keep in mind.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Also consider her age upon return too...I'd be nervous about a dog who can get out of a crate. The travel ones are pretty hard to get out of but an escape artist may be able to and since sedation drugs are not really safe, it might be hard to calm her down. ALSO sounds like she is pretty big and I know when I was looking into it most places will only take 100 lbs total including crate but I could be remembering wrong.
  8. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Just curious - you refer to your significant other as "FI" - not husband? If not married, how would you and the dog live on base?