Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flea and Tick Prevention

1. Senior Member

Flea and Tick Prevention

Advertisements
    So, I'm at my wits end with fleas this year. I think the fleas are different in Florida because everything that worked in Oklahoma just doesn't work anymore.

We use Frontline Plus. The dogs are also on Sentiel for heartworms (and it does something with fleas, doesn't allow eggs to hatch or something) So, they are consistently on both of these, we don't let them lapse.

3 weeks ago I put Frontline on the dogs, and on Saturday I noticed fleas on Jackson. Not wanting to put another application on yet I bought some natural flea/tick shampoo (Isle of Dogs) and it worked well enough, I had to shampoo him twice and pull half dead fleas off him (Just what I wanted to do on a Saturday night!)

Anyway, what do you use on your pets? I need something better.

BTW- I think all bugs in Florida are mutants. I got a mosquito bite last Thursday and it still itches. WTF? I hate Florida bugs.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I use Bravecto, its a prescription chewable flea and tick medication that is only needed every three months... it seems to be working since I've never seen a flea on my dog but I also live in the city.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I had a big problem with fleas and ticks with my dog until I switched to Nexgard. My dog would consitently get fleas on Frontline and Advantix, so my vet had me administer every three weeks instead of every 4. The stuff made him really itchy though, so he would spend two weeks itching and then have one week free before I'd have to reapply and he STILL got fleas. So we switched to Nexgard maybe 4 months ago and haven't had any fleas since. I did find three ticks on him after a camping trip, but they were all dead and the vet said that's the best we could home for.

Only problem with Nexgard is it's expensive, so we might give Bravecto a try because one dose lasts three months.

I Eelizah
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I had a big problem with fleas and ticks with my dog until I switched to Nexgard. My dog would consitently get fleas on Frontline and Advantix, so my vet had me administer every three weeks instead of every 4. The stuff made him really itchy though, so he would spend two weeks itching and then have one week free before I'd have to reapply and he STILL got fleas. So we switched to Nexgard maybe 4 months ago and haven't had any fleas since. I did find three ticks on him after a camping trip, but they were all dead and the vet said that's the best we could home for.

Only problem with Nexgard is it's expensive, so we might give Bravecto a try because one dose lasts three months.
    check 1800petmeds.com i found the bravecto was a lot cheaper there than at my vet.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    check 1800petmeds.com i found the bravecto was a lot cheaper there than at my vet.
    I haven't looked at bravecto pricing yet, but nexgard is the same price on there as at my vet. I'll definitely look into comparing the bravecto prices once I run out of his nexgard.

I Eelizah
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    Just so you know, drugs that you find on online pharmacies have been known to put expired stuff into new boxes, we have had some clients who had the expiration date crossed out with sharpie, stuff that is put into 'frontline' boxes that actually isnt.

I dont trust online pharmacies, and its why many vets wont work with them. Just FYI. And that includes 1800pet-meds
  7. Senior Member
    I swear by Nexgard!! It may be expensive, but it works. Ask your vet if there are any rebates out for it. I know my vet was able to hook me up with rebates for both Nexgard and Heartgard that helped put a dent in the cost.

8. Senior Member
    We have been using Trifexis, and really enjoy it. We haven't seen a flea yet, and the sand fleas are really bad here. It also protects against Heartworms, so two different meds isn't needed. It's expensive though, and I've thought about talking to my vet about Sentinel since it's cheaper. However, I'm not sure I want to do that now!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Just so you know, drugs that you find on online pharmacies have been known to put expired stuff into new boxes, we have had some clients who had the expiration date crossed out with sharpie, stuff that is put into 'frontline' boxes that actually isnt.

I dont trust online pharmacies, and its why many vets wont work with them. Just FYI. And that includes 1800pet-meds
    omg I had no idea! i thought they were a reputable business. thanks for letting me know.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    So I just realized I never answered, lol

I like the following products:
    Advantix II
    Nexgard (unless you dog is prone to seizures)
    Seresto Collar
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast