Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Puppy Food Recommendations

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Puppy Food Recommendations

Advertisements
    We're considering switching our pups food to something more affordable but still healthy for him. He's eating Nutro Puppy food right now and with how big he's getting he's going to eat through our wallets with the amount we're spending on this food.

So I need some recommendations on a good, affordable puppy food! Our dog is not picky at all and he is healthily gaining weight at a great pace! We just need something a little more budget friendly but still good for him!

So any suggestions?

2. Senior Member
    I'm not sure how much Nutro is, but Taste of the Wild comes highly recommended.

Also, I have seen Purino Pro Plan all over the place lately. GREAT reviews from everyone I have talked to about it. They have the Large Breed dog/puppy brands, and from what I've read.. It seems to be a really great food. I actually started really researching it yesterday, and I am thinking of trying to switch my pups to it.
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I'm not sure how much Nutro is, but Taste of the Wild comes highly recommended.

Also, I have seen Purino Pro Plan all over the place lately. GREAT reviews from everyone I have talked to about it. They have the Large Breed dog/puppy brands, and from what I've read.. It seems to be a really great food. I actually started really researching it yesterday, and I am thinking of trying to switch my pups to it.
    That's what they had him on at the shelter and we switched him with the recommendation from a friend so now I'm wondering if we should of just kept him on the original food but the Nutro is almost $50 for a 15 lb bag so it definitely isn't cheap. He's been able to eat that in about 3 weeks now and with his weight and age he's about to bump up to another cup of food a day and I know that 15 lb bag won't be jack squat then!

4. Senior Member
    If you have Petsmart close by their brand authority is good and cheap. It's got good ingredients and is rated high but comparable to the cheaper brands in price.
  5. Senior Member
    My dogs eat purina pro plan large breed and large breed puppy. No complaints so far lol. It's not cheap or anything but it's cheaper than TOTW and they like it better. I get it from amazon too so it ships right to the door for free
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My dogs eat purina pro plan large breed and large breed puppy. No complaints so far lol. It's not cheap or anything but it's cheaper than TOTW and they like it better. I get it from amazon too so it ships right to the door for free
    Heis is the one that got me to start researching it. A dog forum I am on, sings its praises daily. It isn't the BEST food out there (like Orijen), but it is a great alternative that is cheaper.

Though, It doesn't have very good ratings on Dogfoodadvisor. That is a great site to find out more information on dog food, their contents, etc.
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I feed Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet foods, usually the chicken and sweet potato variety, but they have a bunch of others. I have mine auto-delivered from Chewy.com and it's normally around $50 for a 26lb bag.
    ~Becca~

8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I feed Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet foods, usually the chicken and sweet potato variety, but they have a bunch of others. I have mine auto-delivered from Chewy.com and it's normally around $50 for a 26lb bag.
    Were totally okay spending about $50 a bag just not on a 15 lb bag at the rate this pup is growing that'd be like a snack to him my mom and grandma use blue wilderness but that seems on the higher price range too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!! They're really helpful, I'm going pup food shopping once I'm off work so I still have some time to do a little research!

9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    If you have Petsmart close by their brand authority is good and cheap. It's got good ingredients and is rated high but comparable to the cheaper brands in price.
    This is what I fed my dog as a pup, and still do.
  10. Vex
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    Blog Entries

I feed my pup Merrick's grain-free recipes, but it is rather expensive (albeit a very high-quality food!).

Check out Chewy.com (Dog and Cat Food, Treats, and Supplies | Free Shipping at Chewy.com) - they have really good prices and a great discount for shipping subscriptions.

Which reminds me I need to go to PetCo after my laundry finishes...