Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PNW to desert temps

1. Regular Member

PNW to desert temps

Advertisements
    Hi hi,

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips or recommendations when transitioning a pet from fairly mild temps (WA) to hot hot hot desert weather? We have a one year old pup and not quite sure if there is anything I should do in particular to make the transition easier for him. He will be staying with the inlaws for couple weeks in CA so hopefully that will help him to adjust.

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandria♥ View Post
    Hi hi,

I was just wondering if anybody has any tips or recommendations when transitioning a pet from fairly mild temps (WA) to hot hot hot desert weather? We have a one year old pup and not quite sure if there is anything I should do in particular to make the transition easier for him. He will be staying with the inlaws for couple weeks in CA so hopefully that will help him to adjust.

Thanks!
    Is he an indoor or outdoor dog? For the desert, I really recommend you keep him indoors. I did the opposite with my indoor dogs. We went from hot Southern temps, to mild SD weather, then all the way to a place that has frigid cold winters and my dogs had no problem with adapting. I did get them booties for the winter. It was more to protect their paws from the salt on the roads and sidewalks but it also helped keep their feet warm as well. In your case, I think they recommend putting booties on dogs when you plan on taking him for walks when the sidewalks are extremely hot. When he is outdoors, make sure he has access to shade and plenty of water, but do not feed him outdoors (that attracts other animals). And always be aware of snakes and other desert predators.

Also, I read this a while back:
    Some groomers believe the best way to keep a dog cool in the summer is to give the dog a close grooming. Though this may seem like a logical solution, it isn’t for most breeds. A dog’s fur is protection from the cold, the heat and the elements. For some breeds, long hair keeps them cooler than removing it. If you are considering a haircut for your pet, thoroughly research your breed and lean toward not getting the pet’s fur removed if the dog will be out in the sun. Like a human, the dog can get a severe sunburn and have no way of communicating this pain to you.

3. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    he'll be fine. just don't leave him outside, and do get a baby pool for summer fun
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Is he an indoor or outdoor dog? For the desert, I really recommend you keep him indoors. I did the opposite with my indoor dogs. We went from hot Southern temps, to mild SD weather, then all the way to a place that has frigid cold winters and my dogs had no problem with adapting. I did get them booties for the winter. It was more to protect their paws from the salt on the roads and sidewalks but it also helped keep their feet warm as well. In your case, I think they recommend putting booties on dogs when you plan on taking him for walks when the sidewalks are extremely hot. When he is outdoors, make sure he has access to shade and plenty of water, but do not feed him outdoors (that attracts other animals). And always be aware of snakes and other desert predators.

Also, I read this a while back:
    Will keep in mind thanks! He's generally an indoor dog as we live in apartment but we are looking forward to having a yard (even if it's dirt) so he can come and go as he pleases.

Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    he'll be fine. just don't leave him outside, and do get a baby pool for summer fun
    Ahhh kiddie pool, good idea!