Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Adopting another cat. Maybe.

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Adopting another cat. Maybe.

Advertisements
    So I'm thinking of adopting another cat and just wanted to get that out I found one on the local shelters page that is 7 years old and she's been in the shelter since 2011 when we adopted our cat he was in the shelter for 2 years and he was 3 years old. I'd like to give another cat a forever home. The cat we have now is the only cat we've ever had so does anyone have any 2 cat tips? I know our cat gets along with other animals as he's stayed at my inlaws for extended times and they basically have a freakin zoo at their house
  2. Vex
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little-stitious.
    Blog Entries

First of all, THANK YOU for adopting adult cats. So many people go for the kittens automatically (nothing wrong with adopting kittens, either!) and adults are often not even considered.

The key to introducing two cats together is a lot of time and patience. Throwing them into the same room together and hoping it works out rarely turns out well. Start slow. Hopefully you have a spare room that the new cat can stay in for the first few weeks -- keep her in there while introductions are being made. Spend lots of time with both cats. Exchange scents often by rubbing one cat with a towel and then rubbing the other with the same towel, repeating a few times so they can get each others' scents. Feed them near the door of the spare room so they associate the other cat with good things like food and treats and praise. Hissing and growling are to be expected at first. Don't punish this behavior -- it's how they start to establish a pecking order.

If all seems to be going well, especially if they start playing with each others' paws under the door and there's no more hissing/growling from behind the door, you can start to move ahead. Try a baby gate or another type of barrier where the cats can still see each other, but they can't get at one another. If there's tons of aggression, go back a step. Better to take your time with proper intros.

Once they're okay with this, try a face-to-face interaction. They may very well ignore each other during this step, or just hiss a little and walk away. Have a plan ready in case a fight does break out. Try to encourage them to play together with you. Keep a close eye on them to make sure neither is bullying the other and let them take things at their own pace.

Personal anecdote time: It took about three weeks for my first two cats to be introduced properly. My original cat, McGee, was totally unflappable and fine with the new addition, Cosette. Cosette, however, was having none of him for a long time. She was just terrified and had to settle in and realize that she was in a safe place and the other cat was a friend, not a foe. After three weeks, I could let them be together unsupervised, although Cosette largely ignored McGee. After another couple of weeks, they started to really bond, and then they were inseparable until Cosette's death last year. Not all cats will bond that strongly -- some may just live in constant indifference towards one another.

Definitely look into other resources! TheCatSite forums are a good place. Best of luck!
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Yay for two cats!!!

My best advice to you is to be extremely patient and willing to adapt to their needs, not yours. Mook and Lola get along okay when I'm home, but when I'm not I know he goes for her. He's double her size and territorial (he was the first cat and I didn't introduce them the way I should have when I adopted Lola). I keep them separated when I'm away. If I could go back, I'd definitely keep them separate until they were ready to meet. And when it comes time to let them see each other face to face, take it slowly. Get them accustomed to eachother's scents and relax. Cats feed off your energy too. I definitely think keeping them apart for a week or so when you bring the new baby home is a must, because its a BIG change bringing a second cat into the house. But it's definitely doable!

Keep us updated with how it goes And like Vex said...thanks for adopting and saving a life!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We have 4 rescue cats.
    all the above advice is great.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    I mean mine is a dog and a cat but my best advice is just wait out the adjustment period. It was like a week or two of no sleep for me because every time the cat moved the dog got up and barked at him, I was like omg they're never gonna get along! I can't not sleep forever! But after a week or two everyone started sleeping and they get along great now, only had one incident where blood was drawn and since then no issues, it's been a little over a month now.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks everyone! My current cat is very laid back and go with the flow but the kitty I'm looking at seems to be a very very shy girl so I know we'd have to go slow.
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Make sure each has an area that's their's and only theirs especially if the other shy. Baby gates are amazing for letting them see and smell. Your boy maybe laid-back but he may act differently with another cat in his territory. Cats can be interesting