Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furbaby Events?

1. Senior Member

Furbaby Events?

Advertisements
    So now that Spring is fully in motion, I have been seeing more and more events for children and families. It's so exciting as someone who is new to the military life to see all the activities available!

That being said...

What about the animals?!

For those who either can't have children or who choose not to, it can feel a little alienating. Everything seems geared toward families with children. But my dogs are my babies! Has anyone ever seen an event held for pets? Or an event where pets are allowed?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by she_lurks View Post
    So now that Spring is fully in motion, I have been seeing more and more events for children and families. It's so exciting as someone who is new to the military life to see all the activities available!

That being said...

What about the animals?!

For those who either can't have children or who choose not to, it can feel a little alienating. Everything seems geared toward families with children. But my dogs are my babies! Has anyone ever seen an event held for pets? Or an event where pets are allowed?
    Austin does dog parades and race/walks and so does San Diego. I'm pretty sure Boston does them too (although I haven't really looked). So maybe it's just something you see in major cities then But even when I lived in MiddleOfNowhere, NC they allowed you to bring your pets to certain 5k races. so...

I don't consider it alienating though. I find it more frustrating when I can't bring them to certain camp grounds or State/National Parks (although I respect the safety reasons) or if they do allow them they charge a $20 pet fee. Having dogs around large groups of people is not always safe for the other people or the dog, so I understand why a lot of large events don't allow them.

ETA: I posted this a while back: Bring Fido. Its a great resource for finding destinations, attractions, events, restaurants, and many more places that allow pets. I found my favorite dog park on this site.

3. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Our local baseball team has Bark in the spark where one Wednesday a month you can take your dog to the baseball game. I'm not really into baseball so I've not tried it but it's seems like it's been a big hit.
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Check Meetup.com, there are usually dog groups on there. Also perhaps contact dog rescues in your area because spring and summer are huge for dog rescue events.
    ~Becca~

5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

There are doggy runs close to me, the base has a dog park and has dog events, dogs are welcome at the local parades and festivals. I've never had a problem finding dog stuff to do. check with local pet stores, they usually have flyers up of happenings and going ons.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

most breweries and wineries here allow dogs so i do that with mine...also most restaurants if you sit outside let you have the dog on the other side of the rail and bring them water. I also hike with him in national parks....

ive never really felt alienated because my dog isn't allowed places, he is an animal and he's furry so a lot of places it isn't appropriate to have dogs.
  7. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    We have a lot of dog parks in my area! Actually, everywhere I've ever lived there has been a lot to do with animals. Maybe there is where you are but you just aren't looking in the right places! We take our dog to most outdoor events, and nobody has ever said we couldn't.

8. Senior Member
    The last event I took my cat to was a halloween event. They had a pet contest where the animals would be dressed up, but I didn't enter her in that. I just took her to the night parade. Although I had her on a leash, I ended up carrying her half the time due to the crowd. People love cats on Halloween.

A few years ago I took her to an annual dog and cat show that a friend of mine told me about. You didn't have to have an expensive breed of pet for this kind of show. The dogs were judged based on looks and what they could do, and the cats were supposed to be based on looks. The contest judges didn't expect the cats to be able to do tricks or obey commands like the dogs It was probably the only reason she won anything.

I don't do it anymore because I live in the sticks, but if I was interested in pet events I would just search for events in my area.
  9. Senior Member
    I second the Bring Fido website! I have found out about a lot of events around here, that I had no clue about otherwise.

Also, Pet groups for your town/city on facebook may post events going on.
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I've seen a ton of dog stuff either just driving around our area or looking at flyers for local businesses. If your community has a FB page you can look there too, there's always something. Austin has tons of stuff but even in our area the sports teams had dog nights (baseball and hockey both I've seen this year), the parks usually have something too. There was some kind of run/walk to benefit a medical issue but I saw lots of dogs there.

That being said, we're DINKs and don't really feel alienated. We've gone to family stuff and it's fine, like nobody expects us to have kids to attend. And there's lots of non-pet adult stuff to do too. I guess it's different depending on the area but I haven't felt left out based on it. Now that I think about it though, I have heard people express those kinds of feelings about military-sponsored events, so if that's the case I would definitely expand your search and look on the civilian side of things too. DH and I have always felt we fit in better off-post than on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast