Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Not sure what to do

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Not sure what to do

Advertisements
    Lately Mook has been having a real issue with getting along with Lola. He'll legit beat on her, grab her by the neck with his mouth, and attack her. She does not provoke him, usually she's doing nothing wrong. I had Mook first and I assume he's a bit territorial/jealous of Lola (even though I adopted her over a year ago), so I make sure to give him extra attention as well as his own food and water as well as his own space in the apartment.

But it's gotten really bad lately - he'll pin her down and go for her neck. She screams and fights but can't get away from him because he's easily twice her size, and it's really worrying me. He could seriously hurt her. I have to break them up a lot when I'm home with them. If I'm in the same room with both cats, Mook behaves a bit better but still sometimes gets aggressive. When I'm away, I really worry about them. I'm gone for 8+ hours a day. My current solution is more like a band-aid on a wound. When I go out, I put Lola in my bedroom and keep Mook in the larger part of the house. Both have access to food, water, a litter box, and toys. When I'm asleep, I have to keep my door closed at night. He'll pounce on her when she's asleep. This doesn't seem sustainable or fair on either of them.

Has anyone experienced sudden increased aggression with pets? How did you deal with it? I'm not sure what to do. I've tried pheromone sprays, plug ins, kitty xanax (seriously, the vet gave him double the dose and nothing happened), spray bottles + water, and nothing seems to work. Mook has no health issues (he has been to the vet for a check-up, and he is also neutered) and is usually such a sweet cat. I don't want to have to re-home him as I'm a firm believer in pets being family for life, but I'm running out of options.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this . Cats can be so fickle. They can suddenly decide they don't like someone at what seems like a drop of a hat.

I would make sure she has somewhere safe to run to, like kitty shelves on the wall, or a climbing tree. You could also try keeping them separated and slowly re introduce them. Give them treats while around each other to hopefully create positive associations, and make sure he is getting enough play time so he doesn't use her as a toy.

This book may be helpful if you need to re introduce them.

Hope you can get it sorted out .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Senior Member
    Wish I could offer advice. We had similar problems with our cats. Suddenly my cat just didn't wanna have the other cat around. They just couldn't get alone and mine (as much as I hate to admit it) usually was the one to provoke my sister's cat. We assume it may have been cause she had health issues and got special food that the other cat loved too. We did feed them separately but it didn't help. So we ended up keeping them apart most of the time. My cat had half the apartment and my sister's cat the other half till I moved out and took her with me.

Did the vet have any idea what could cause his sudden change in behavior? Hope you can figure it out
  4. Senior Member
    I hope you can find a solution soon. I wish I had some advice for you but cats are a total mystery to me.

5. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaClaire View Post
    I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this . Cats can be so fickle. They can suddenly decide they don't like someone at what seems like a drop of a hat.

I would make sure she has somewhere safe to run to, like kitty shelves on the wall, or a climbing tree. You could also try keeping them separated and slowly re introduce them. Give them treats while around each other to hopefully create positive associations, and make sure he is getting enough play time so he doesn't use her as a toy.

This book may be helpful if you need to re introduce them.

Hope you can get it sorted out .
    thank you for the link! I think for the time being, I am going to try and keep them separated and only have them "together" when I'm home until I can figure out how to re-introduce them.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Wish I could offer advice. We had similar problems with our cats. Suddenly my cat just didn't wanna have the other cat around. They just couldn't get alone and mine (as much as I hate to admit it) usually was the one to provoke my sister's cat. We assume it may have been cause she had health issues and got special food that the other cat loved too. We did feed them separately but it didn't help. So we ended up keeping them apart most of the time. My cat had half the apartment and my sister's cat the other half till I moved out and took her with me.

Did the vet have any idea what could cause his sudden change in behavior? Hope you can figure it out
    Cats are so finicky! Sorry you had that happen.

The vet basically told me I'd have to bring Mook in for testing (AKA spend a lot of money to find out nothing). There isn't anything wrong with him physically. I was worried maybe he was sick with something serious but that's not the case. I guess he's just moody.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I hope you can find a solution soon. I wish I had some advice for you but cats are a total mystery to me.
    Thank you!
  6. Senior Member
    You might also want to check out Jackson Galaxy's website Jackson Galaxy. He is a cat behaviorist and deals with this often on his tv show - My Cat From Hell.
  7. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    You might also want to check out Jackson Galaxy's website Jackson Galaxy. He is a cat behaviorist and deals with this often on his tv show - My Cat From Hell.
    Thank you!