Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Bumble Foot.

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Sad Bumble Foot.

Advertisements
    It seems like we are always dealing with SOMETHING here!

Yesterday was a crazy day. One of our hens got out of the coop and our dogs got to her. She was pretty bad off and wasn't going to make it, so my 15 y/o said he would butcher her. He's been watching youtube videos for "just in case". Should I be worried? LOL. Anyway, he did an amazing job at it! And we were able to put it in the freezer.

Then last night I noticed our big roo had a huge swollen foot. I took pics and sent it to my chicken friend in Ohio. And she said,"Oh no! He has Bumblefoot!" And here I am, WTF is that? After google and some advice from my friend. I had to perform surgery on him. yeah. good times. Bumblefoot is apparently a staph infection from some type of injury to the foot and it needs to be lanced and drained. Yeah, it was nasty.

So far he seems to be doing well, but I need to check his wound and soak and re-wrap it again.

And this morning my friend says that on further inspection of the pics she thinks he has leg mites which you can treat by liberally applying vaseline to the legs for the next 3 weeks. yeah.

Today we will be cleaning out the entire coop and dusting it for mites and lice. And we need to treat all the other chickens in the coop for mites too. Who knew?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We are having chicken issues too

One of my chickens is gurgling when breathing.

I hope your bumblefoot gets better!
  3. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post

THANKS! I can't believe all the stuff I have learned in the last 24 hours. LOL. This too shall pass.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Bumblefoot is nasty stuff - but is also very easily treated and generally fairly quickly recovered from - sounds like you have done a great job thus far. Yes, it also appears you are dealing with scaly leg mites - again, common and very easily addressed.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post

Have you got him/her isolated? There are several respiratory infections that chickens can develop and the seriousness depends on the specific one in play. Isolation can help prevent further spreading while you determine which you are dealing with and decide on a course of action. Some are easily recovered from, others leave the bird as a life-long carrier of the disease - and/or make your entire flock carriers. Are there any other sypmtoms - discharge from the eyes, nares (nostrils) or mouth? Is the bird eating and drinking? Are the droppings normal? Any strange marks developing on the face, comb or wattles?
  6. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    Bumblefoot is nasty stuff - but is also very easily treated and generally fairly quickly recovered from - sounds like you have done a great job thus far. Yes, it also appears you are dealing with scaly leg mites - again, common and very easily addressed.
    So nasty! And I'm off to buy a BIG OLE JAR of Vasaline! giggle.

Question for you. My g/f in Ohio says she only uses sand in her coop. It's cleaner and the chickens can dust bathe. Have you ever heard of this? We are currently using straw and she said that's bad because it breeds mites and holds moisture.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    So nasty! And I'm off to buy a BIG OLE JAR of Vasaline! giggle.

Question for you. My g/f in Ohio says she only uses sand in her coop. It's cleaner and the chickens can dust bathe. Have you ever heard of this? We are currently using straw and she said that's bad because it breeds mites and holds moisture.
    Sand has become popular with some folks. Like anything there are pros and cons. One con is that it can quickly and easily become compacted and then is like your birds hoping down on to concrete vs. a soft floor (more important the higher the roosts, etc are off the floor and if you have heavy breeds). I've heard from people who love it and people who hated it and went back to another type of bedding. I prefer pine shavings and use a deep litter method. For me sand is not anything I've even been tempted to use, so I can only go off what I have heard from those who have tried it - both the good and the bad.
  8. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Awesome thanks. I've been reading about the deep litter method. I bought a chicken book!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    Have you got him/her isolated? There are several respiratory infections that chickens can develop and the seriousness depends on the specific one in play. Isolation can help prevent further spreading while you determine which you are dealing with and decide on a course of action. Some are easily recovered from, others leave the bird as a life-long carrier of the disease - and/or make your entire flock carriers. Are there any other sypmtoms - discharge from the eyes, nares (nostrils) or mouth? Is the bird eating and drinking? Are the droppings normal? Any strange marks developing on the face, comb or wattles?
    Yep, she was isolated at the first sign. I also added in some sav-a-chik electrolytes to her water

She has no other symptoms at all. Although, i did notice her crop is pretty much empty yesterday mid day. I have seen her eating, but only when she found the hole in our isolation coop and ended up free ranging, she was scratching and eating as much as she could before we could catch her.