Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Need Some Help

1. Regular Member

Need Some Help

Advertisements
    Ok so I've cleaned my house spotless and I make sure there's no food out where Otis can reach it. Because lately's he's grown a habit of eating food ONLY when I leave the house!! He doesn't do it when I'm home at all! I don't know what's gotten into him! It may be because he's lonely since the family has gone off to another country and I have work and school. I still make plenty of time for him though. So I don't understand what it is. Anyways today we left the house for an hour and left nothing in his reach BUT he still managed to some how find chap stick and eat that!! I have no idea what to do to stop this bad behavior! I raise my voice at him and show him what he's done but he's still doing it! I'm calling the vet about the chap stick because I'm worried but I seriously could use some help and advise on this
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Sounds like separation anxiety. I'd invest in a crate for when you're gone so he can't get into stuff.
  3. Senior Member
    Yeah, separation anxiety or just boredom. How much activity does he get? I wouldn't say my dog is destructive at all usually but occasionally if I leave it accessible he'll get into the trash when I'm gone.

What else has he gotten into? The chapstick might smell like you from using it, and if he gets into clothes or shoes or anything like that it sounds more like separation anxiety. Every time I'm gone and there's a storm, my dog goes into the bath tub and tears my loofah to shreds.

The best thing to do is make sure he's worn out as much as possible before you leave him by himself, and a crate would be a good investment if you don't have one. At the very least, get a baby gate or something to keep him in a safe area of the house. Make sure he has something appropriate to chew on so he doesn't go after your flooring or your walls or anything.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKat19 View Post
    Ok so I've cleaned my house spotless and I make sure there's no food out where Otis can reach it. Because lately's he's grown a habit of eating food ONLY when I leave the house!! He doesn't do it when I'm home at all! I don't know what's gotten into him! It may be because he's lonely since the family has gone off to another country and I have work and school. I still make plenty of time for him though. So I don't understand what it is. Anyways today we left the house for an hour and left nothing in his reach BUT he still managed to some how find chap stick and eat that!! I have no idea what to do to stop this bad behavior! I raise my voice at him and show him what he's done but he's still doing it! I'm calling the vet about the chap stick because I'm worried but I seriously could use some help and advise on this
    This is entirely ineffective since he is actually committing the "crime" in your absence - after the fact shaming will do nothing to stop or correct unwanted behavior (this is why punishing for accidents that are discovered after the fact is not helpful in the housebreaking process). Dogs don't make the same sort of connections that we do between what we are scolding them for and the scolding itself when the unwanted action is in the past.
    For the short term, crating is going to be best for your dog - or at the very least confinement in a "safe" space. Prevention is much more effective than after-the-fact discipline.