Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for your pets when you leave?

1. Senior Member

What do you do for your pets when you leave?

Advertisements
    Ok so I just got home, it's 9:30pm, and my husband was supposed to be here all day. Well, he decided not to do that and apparently he's been gone since like 3. I come home, the dogs have no food and no water probably since I left them around 12:30 to go to work, all the lights are off in the house. Clementine was stuck in her crate without a toy or anything.

Am I crazy for being upset about this? I can't tell if it's just because he annoys me in general but I'm livid and if he was here right now I might kill him. That's so mean to leave the dogs alone for over six hours with no food or water. And Clem is just a baby. She's only four months old, that's too long for her to be left alone. I'm so mad. I always make sure they both have access to food and water if I know they're gonna be left alone and miss a meal time, I always leave the light on, I always make sure Clementine has something to chew on at least since she's teething. Am I crazy or should I be mad?
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

We feel horrible when we have to leave Butch alone for more than a couple of hours and there are two days out of the week where DH and I both work day shifts and it freaks us out to leave him in his crate so we gated a huge section of hallway in our house and we leave him with his bed and chew bones and water. I couldn't imagine leaving him without anything for that long

I don't think you're being unreasonable for being upset. Those are your babies. I'm sure the general annoyance though is going to impact that upsetness way more BUT I think he could of been a little considerate to them and left food/water and switched a light on at least.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    We feel horrible when we have to leave Butch alone for more than a couple of hours and there are two days out of the week where DH and I both work day shifts and it freaks us out to leave him in his crate so we gated a huge section of hallway in our house and we leave him with his bed and chew bones and water. I couldn't imagine leaving him without anything for that long

I don't think you're being unreasonable for being upset. Those are your babies. I'm sure the general annoyance though is going to impact that upsetness way more BUT I think he could of been a little considerate to them and left food/water and switched a light on at least.
    Yeah I mean it's not the first or last time she'll be left alone for this long, I don't work close enough by that I can swing home on my lunch break and he's had gate guard and shit. But nothing was going on today, he got invited to a goddamn barbecue. That's fine, whatever, go. But leave some food and water for the dogs maybe? He knew I was working late. I let Clementine out of her crate and she ran right to her empty water bowl.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Fogs Have A Dog Sitter Cats Are On Thier Own.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    I would be mad buuuut my dog gets water (no food cause he chokes himself and if I'm not there im scared he'll die) a light, and disney channel on TV. And he has run of my house and his own couch by the window. I don't think you're crazy and DH always asks me if I left a light on for him so im glad he feels that way too cause I've always left a light and TV on for my dog and my old dog. And if my dog didn't choke himself by eating too fast he'd have food too but I always leave water.
  6. Senior Member
    I would be livid with DH if ever just left the dogs in the house without telling me while I was gone. Call me overprotective, or crazy, but the thought of that just makes me very uncomfortable. Mostly because he doesn't deal with them enough, so he isn't familiar with their routine for when I leave. But anytime I'm gone for any extended period of time, and DH isn't working, he stays at home with the dogs and doesn't leave them.

When I have to leave them and DH is at work, both Carmen and Jude get crated. They each have a toy in their crate, but I don't give them food or water. I'm too afraid they'll choke on food and I'm never gone more than 3-4 hours at a time, so I don't worry about them dehydrating or anything. They always go out before I leave and I make sure I don't leave until they both use the bathroom.

Jude is just a puppy (going on three months old now), so he'd probably pee all over himself and his crate if I left water with him and Carmen would drink all of her water immediately and have to pee, but she won't use the bathroom in the house (especially her crate) and I get worried that she'd mess up her kidneys holding a full bladder for that long. I also always try to leave a light on and the TV on for them, because I know that makes them feel more comfortable. DH gets annoyed about the lights and TV, but... I know what makes them comfortable and what they're used to hearing and seeing. They both get very anxious and uncomfortable when I leave, so I always try and ease that burden when I do have to leave them completely alone.

7. Senior Member
    I would totally be upset, especially about the dogs not having water. It wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes to put down some water and toss a chew toy their direction.
  8. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Zoe has never been alone more than a couple of hours. I take her to daycare every weekday morning on my way to work and I pick her up on my way home. If I work past daycare hours I have my parents or my in-laws pick her up. If DH and I have a night out she goes to my in-laws for the night or we pick her up on the way home. So if would be totally out of character for DH to leave her alone and if I left her for more than an hour or two, he would be very upset, and I would at him if he did it. Yes we may sound crazy, and we probably are so I do not think your crazy at all.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would be mad. It isn't that hard to put out food/water and give her a toy .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  10. Senior Member
    I think he should have at least made sure they have food or water. I get ready for the dogs and myself the night before I go, so even if DH is the last one to leave, I have everything ready cause he has no clue. I work 6ish hours a day so I'm gone approximately 7 sometimes 8. My dog who is not very destructive alone is left out, with almost nothing she would get into available for her. She has food and water, and all the toys out which she most likely won't touch. The other one who seriously got into everything and chewed my walls is now in a large crate with blankets (no stuffing to rip apart), food and water bowls hooked to the side (he doesn't choke on his food) and an antler to chew on (edible, doesn't break into large pieces, never chokes on). If I go out out of the ordinary like afternoon/evening I make sure to put cartoons on and the light on. During the day they're fine but I will sometimes put the tv on. I also now have this sonic bark thingy set out. It emits a sound audible to dogs that is annoying so it stops him after one bark because he used to bark the whole time I was out that wasn't when I went to work. No shock, doesn't hurt them.etc.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast