Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sudden behavioral changes in a dog.

1. Senior Member

Sudden behavioral changes in a dog.

Advertisements
    I've been trying to find out what might be causing this--I never had a dog growing up, and I don't really know a lot about dog behavior. I know a lot of people on here have had dogs for a while, and have much more experience, so I figured I'd pick MSoS's collective brain.

My MiL has an 8-year old dog (Cairn terrier), and he's a pretty good dog. For the past week, he has been acting really weird and different. He started getting into the trash all the time, which he never used to do. It's not like it's kitchen trash, either, it's tissues and some of DD's wet diapers. He's also been extra clingy, but also acting like he's mad at us--he pooped in the house deliberately, which is not like him.

Is there something that could be causing this? We haven't switched his food or our routine recently. Do dogs get cabin fever? Is he just having a mid-life crisis?

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer_tex View Post
    I've been trying to find out what might be causing this--I never had a dog growing up, and I don't really know a lot about dog behavior. I know a lot of people on here have had dogs for a while, and have much more experience, so I figured I'd pick MSoS's collective brain.

My MiL has an 8-year old dog (Cairn terrier), and he's a pretty good dog. For the past week, he has been acting really weird and different. He started getting into the trash all the time, which he never used to do. It's not like it's kitchen trash, either, it's tissues and some of DD's wet diapers. He's also been extra clingy, but also acting like he's mad at us--he pooped in the house deliberately, which is not like him.

Is there something that could be causing this? We haven't switched his food or our routine recently. Do dogs get cabin fever? Is he just having a mid-life crisis?

Thanks!
    It sounds like he's bored and he is looking for attention. You said he's your MIL's dog but is he staying with you temporarily? I would get him outside more and take him on more walks.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    It sounds like he's bored and he is looking for attention. You said he's your MIL's dog but is he staying with you temporarily? I would get him outside more and take him on more walks.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. We live with my parents-in-law--he belongs to my MiL (although my DD is clearly his favorite). Normally we play catch with him every day, but it's been snowy lately. He does get to run around outside a bit, but maybe he does really miss his ball.
  4. Senior Member
    Oh I see, and I hear ya on the snow issue. It makes getting out especially difficult. Maybe playing more indoor games with him and giving him a lot of extra love will help.

My lab is an attention whore. When he feels he's not getting enough attention, he will find a tissue and bring it right in front of me to lick on it. I guess he thinks any attention, although negative, is attention.

5. Senior Member
    He is probably not getting the amount of exercise he is used to due to the weather. You can try to compensate for that by exercising his mind instead by playing games in the house. Also, dogs don't poop in the house because they are mad at you.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    He is probably not getting the amount of exercise he is used to due to the weather. You can try to compensate for that by exercising his mind instead by playing games in the house. Also, dogs don't poop in the house because they are mad at you.
    I'm glad I asked here, because I honestly didn't know that about the pooping thing. I guess it's just putting human emotions on a dog. We'll try to play some games with him inside--DH played with him for a while last night, and he seemed to like that a lot.