Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After losing a pet

1. Senior Member

After losing a pet

Advertisements
    My kitty wouldn't eat anything on Tuesday. By Wednesday, I was nervous, so I made him an appt that afternoon. The vet said his kidneys were failing, his levels were so high the machines couldn't even get an accurate reading. He said he'd do whatever I wanted, try insulin (my cats had diabetes for a few years), but in the end that wouldn't help the kidneys and said he probably didn't have much time at that point. I asked if I could just take him home and let him go at home -- he told me that would be cruel I took him home Wednesday night to have our last night together. Longest night of my life... I slept maybe an hour or two. I truly wished he had gone in his sleep, warm at home with us, but he fought SO HARD! He kept getting up trying to drink water, but he was so weak, walking like he was drunk. He didn't shut his eyes at all, the whites were 3/4 of the way across his eyes the whole time. Killing me! The next morning, I called and said we'd be there in about an hour. Cue the ugly crying, I created sores under my eyes from crying so much since I found out.... Getting out of the house to go to the vet was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He went peacefully, it was so quick. I got some fur and paw prints, and should have his ashes back soon...

its so weird being in the house without him. The other animals (two dogs and one other cat) and even my husband are all normal, I feel like a zombie! Ive had my cat since I was a junior in high school, i'll be 26 this spring. He's been through so many rough times with me, been across the country with me, just always been there. First thing I did when i got home, was go find him, when i wake up or go to bed, find him. I feel so damn lost!

My husband keeps looking online at other kitties. He thinks it'll help with the hurt to love on another kitty (even though i HAVE another kitty...) but it feels like replacing him, which i know can never actually be done! We were thinking of another cat or dog over the last few months anyways, but now it feels strange.

But I guess my question is, how soon is too soon? To people who've lost a furbaby, how long did you wait before getting another? I think to me, it'll always feel too soon, i feel like a jerk for some reason...

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Im really sorry for your loss

It took about a year for the idea of getting a new dog to no longer feel repulsive after I lost the dog I gre up with. I Don't think there is a right amount of time. Just whenever you feel ready.

I Eelizah
  3. Senior Member
    Ugh I'm so so so sorry. This made me cry!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Its never too soon. And you are not replacing him. You are filling the house with new love and cuteness.
    And when you adopt from a shelter, you are also SAVING another life, and giving him/her a new wonderful home. Its as much about the new kitty as it is about you, cause you are doing something truly good.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its never too soon. And you are not replacing him. You are filling the house with new love and cuteness.
    And when you adopt from a shelter, you are also SAVING another life, and giving him/her a new wonderful home. Its as much about the new kitty as it is about you, cause you are doing something truly good.
    This is a pretty excellent way to look at it.
  6. Senior Member
    I know exactly how you're feeling and my mom does too. She lost her soul animal back about 2 years ago and is just now thinking about getting another in June. It's like you don't want the pet or anyone else to think you're replacing them. I even felt guilty when I got my dog in 2013 because my childhood dog was 14 and getting older and was always my boy and I felt so guilty, I cried and even thought about giving my dog back because I felt like lucky would think I'm replacing him. Now that it's been 2 years and Luckys gone I don't think he ever felt that way, he just thought "why do you bring this annoying thing to my house" I feel like you might always feel bad until you get the new kitty and once you have it you might not feel so bad, you'll have a different love for that kitty than your first.

im sorry. We put my lucky down last Thursday and it was awful, I still feel like he's at my moms waiting to see me.

Oh and also we thought about putting lucky down 2 days before we did it and those two nights before I kept praying he would go in his sleep so I wouldn't have to do it. The night before I couldn't sleep and then when I did I woke up before my alarm and kept trying harder than I ever had to stay asleep because once im up the day starts, the day I lose my dog officially begins. I know exactly how you felt, it hurt and I felt guilty and I just wanted him to pass on his own in his sleep but he didn't.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We lost one of our cats just over a year ago for the same thing. That was REALLY hard. She was 13 and I still miss her. Even though we moved into a new house, I still look for her sometimes.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please understand, you didn't do anything wrong. I really beat myself up over it. It was so hard because I felt if I caught it, I could have changed it. Cats are so good at hiding their sickness....it was hard.

Our other cat is (so far) fine; but, I get him tested now once a year to check his levels and it came back slightly high and I worry about him.

Now, with getting another cat....take your time. Don't rush into it. If you want one, get one...if not, it is ok to just not right now. I thought I wanted another one; but, decided that one was enough right now. I wanted time to just mourn my Chessie and just enjoy having one cat. I didn't want to deal with issues of introducing, trying to get the two cats to be friends (or just tolerate each other) and all those moving fun.

Do what you feel is right....
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

I'm so sorry! I know how hard it is to lose a fur baby. I don't think it's ever "too soon." If you adopt a kitty you're saving a new life and you could always do it in honour of the one you just let go.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    - I am so sorry. Really, there is no one right or wrong answer as to when the right time for a new pet is. I have had new pets come into our lives within days/weeks of a loss and I have had times where it has been a year or more before I felt ready/the time felt right. You will feel in your heart whether it is the right time or not, trust that.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post

I'm so sorry! I know how hard it is to lose a fur baby. I don't think it's ever "too soon." If you adopt a kitty you're saving a new life and you could always do it in honour of the one you just let go.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast