Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: histiocytoma....?

1. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

histiocytoma....?

Advertisements
    Does anyone have experience with this and their dog?

My 9 month old puppy(Piper, she's an English Bulldog) has a bump on her left shoulder area so I took her to the vet. They took a blood sample from it and gave her anti inflammatory meds...the results came in today and they told me they are pretty sure it's (a) histiocytoma but can only be 100% certain if it's removed. Then they can test it and see if it's cancerous.

I am freaking out. They originally said it was probably just a cyst and only sent in blood work just in case. She's on antibiotics now, another just in case. The vet she sees is the base vet and they aren't currently doing surgeries so I also have to find a new vet for this.

So any info besides what I read on the internet would be helpful and please tell me to calm the fuck down.

Also pictures because she's so cute.

2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Its probably a histocytoma. TOTALLY boring, benign tumor that goes away on its own, usually in 2-6 weeks, and has no consequences on future health. Keep on eye on it, and if it isnt decreasing in size in 4 weeks, have it removed. Seriously, we see them fairly often on dogs under 2. Ask Heisenberg, her dog had one.
  3. Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Its probably a histocytoma. TOTALLY boring, benign tumor that goes away on its own, usually in 2-6 weeks, and has no consequences on future health. Keep on eye on it, and if it isnt decreasing in size in 4 weeks, have it removed. Seriously, we see them fairly often on dogs under 2. Ask Heisenberg, her dog had one.
    That makes me feel better. The vet said she strongly urges me to have it removed. They drew blood on the 11th..it was irritated from that and looks like it's gotten bigger. I'll try to take a picture so it'll be easier to compare than just using my shitty memory.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogadgetsam View Post
    That makes me feel better. The vet said she strongly urges me to have it removed. They drew blood on the 11th..it was irritated from that and looks like it's gotten bigger. I'll try to take a picture so it'll be easier to compare than just using my shitty memory.
    Are you sure they drew blood from it? Masses dont generally have blood supplies we draw blood from. Did they do a fine needle aspirate? That is where they stick a needle in it and take a sample of cells.

And the joke is that these are considered surgical emergencies, because if you dont take them to surgery STAT, they will disappear before you have time to get to it.

If they are concerned it is something else, deffo have it removed, but if they think it is a histiocytoma, there is zero medical reason to have it removed unless it doesnt go away on its own after a few weeks.
  5. Senior Member
    Yep Finn had one on his nose! I took him to the vet, she said it was probably that and recommended I leave it alone, and it went away by itself. I don't remember how long he had it but definitely not more than like two months.
  6. Senior Member
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    OMG LOOK AT MY OVERLY ENTHUSIASTIC REPLY!
  8. Senior Member
    OMG LOOK AT MY OVERLY ENTHUSIASTIC REPLY!
    you were just excited

look how young his little baby face was! now his nose is pink and his snout is mostly white lmao my lil old man
  9. Come along with me, misery loves company.

Are you sure they drew blood from it? Masses dont generally have blood supplies we draw blood from. Did they do a fine needle aspirate? That is where they stick a needle in it and take a sample of cells.

And the joke is that these are considered surgical emergencies, because if you dont take them to surgery STAT, they will disappear before you have time to get to it.

If they are concerned it is something else, deffo have it removed, but if they think it is a histiocytoma, there is zero medical reason to have it removed unless it doesnt go away on its own after a few weeks.
    They said they were drawing blood from it but I also had to help hold her because she was so excited multiple people were touching her at once lol. So I wasn't watching what exactly she was doing. It had blood coming out of it after, that was more brown than red. They said they think it's a histiocytoma but can only really tell if they remove it.
    The first visit she just said to put neosporin in it since it had a hole in it from the needle. It's gross looking and really hard. My husband is okay with waiting it out, I've just never dealt with this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yep Finn had one on his nose! I took him to the vet, she said it was probably that and recommended I leave it alone, and it went away by itself. I don't remember how long he had it but definitely not more than like two months.
    My vet must be a crazy lady cause she really scared the fuck out of me. She said we could wait but she strongly suggests us not waiting. I'm going to try and get a picture of it later lol. She's being a dick now. Thankfully she is so fat and has small legs she can't reach it to itch it or anything
  10. Senior Member
    I guess it's good she's being so proactive about it? My vet was just like "no, it's a histiocytoma, leave it alone." I asked about getting it removed and she was like don't touch it, it'll go away by itself. And then when I was at the desk paying, the receptionist asked me about scheduling "the procedure" (because he was getting neutered) and the vet misheard and came out to reiterate that she was NOT going to bother with it lol. She never like took samples or anything but I guess she was right about what it was because it did go away by itself and it's never come back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast