Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog walking etiquette

1. Regular Member

Dog walking etiquette

Advertisements
    Honest opinions and feedback welcome!

Today I was walking my dog around our neighborhood and had an interaction with a neighbor that confused me. We live in off base military housing where some of the houses have fences, some do not. Renters have the discretion/ability to install fences at their own expense if they desire one.

Anyway, when we go on walks, I always stick to sidewalks and don't let her sniff around in peoples' gardens and such. She walks in the grass just to the side of the sidewalk next to me. Today, she had paused briefly at one point and was sniffing around in the grass near a fence-less house (again, by the sidewalk. If this house had had a fence, it would not have extended that far.)

Almost immediately after stopping, a man comes angrily out of the back door, yelling for me to "Stop letting my dog use his yard as a toilet!" (Which she wasn't at the time. I don't know if she ever has in that specific area. I don't keep tabs.) I apologized and showed him the doggie bag dispenser that I keep attached to the leash and told him that if she ever did, I pick it up promptly and would never leave anything near his yard. He responded, "I don't care if you pick it up, I don't want her doing it in my yard". So I said alright, and continued walking on our way.

I was genuinely puzzled and curious following this interaction. Have I been breaking some unknown dog etiquette all along? Was this guy just touchy/very controlling of his yard? Is there a legitimate reason why he would have those concerns? I know she has gone to the bathroom in similar spots in other yards, but like I said, I always pick up after her.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosegirl View Post
    Honest opinions and feedback welcome!

Today I was walking my dog around our neighborhood and had an interaction with a neighbor that confused me. We live in off base military housing where some of the houses have fences, some do not. Renters have the discretion/ability to install fences at their own expense if they desire one.

Anyway, when we go on walks, I always stick to sidewalks and don't let her sniff around in peoples' gardens and such. She walks in the grass just to the side of the sidewalk next to me. Today, she had paused briefly at one point and was sniffing around in the grass near a fence-less house (again, by the sidewalk. If this house had had a fence, it would not have extended that far.)

Almost immediately after stopping, a man comes angrily out of the back door, yelling for me to "Stop letting my dog use his yard as a toilet!" (Which she wasn't at the time. I don't know if she ever has in that specific area. I don't keep tabs.) I apologized and showed him the doggie bag dispenser that I keep attached to the leash and told him that if she ever did, I pick it up promptly and would never leave anything near his yard. He responded, "I don't care if you pick it up, I don't want her doing it in my yard". So I said alright, and continued walking on our way.

I was genuinely puzzled and curious following this interaction. Have I been breaking some unknown dog etiquette all along? Was this guy just touchy/very controlling of his yard? Is there a legitimate reason why he would have those concerns? I know she has gone to the bathroom in similar spots in other yards, but like I said, I always pick up after her.
    The guy is just a jerk. Dogs will be dogs. I would just get to know the base laws regarding dogs. If he wants to bend it one way or the other then you will know your rights. Most cities/developments have laws regarding cleaning up after your dog but I have personally never seen a law where a dog cannot do their business somewhere. If the guy had approached you in a nice manner and explained that he didn't want your dog relieving itself on his lawn then personally I would make sure my dog did not. But for him to get all up in arms with you... I would let my dog take a nice dump right in front of him and then clean it up immediately after
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    The guy is just a jerk. Dogs will be dogs. I would just get to know the base laws regarding dogs. If he wants to bend it one way or the other then you will know your rights. Most cities/developments have laws regarding cleaning up after your dog but I have personally never seen a law where a dog cannot do their business somewhere. If the guy had approached you in a nice manner and explained that he didn't want your dog relieving itself on his lawn then personally I would make sure my dog did not. But for him to get all up in arms with you... I would let my dog take a nice dump right in front of him and then clean it up immediately after
    That's what I was thinking! I was just so floored that he came at me yelling from the get go...and we had been there only seconds before he did. So he was either waiting for us to come by or is just a super fast guy

If I was consistently a person who didn't clean up after their dog and he called me out on that, it would be one thing...
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah I think he is just a jerk. I've had similar interactions with people before ... my dog was standing there sniffing some grass and this lady came out and told me to get the dog off her lawn because he was getting it dirty.

I think some people just get really weird about the whole MY PROPERTY thing.
  5. Senior Member
    No, the guy was an asshole. If you pick up after her you're fine.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No, the guy was an asshole. If you pick up after her you're fine.
    Thanks! Haha my overthinking brain was coming up with all sorts of reasons why I was the bad guy I just get so flustered with confrontations and such.
  7. Senior Member
    What does he want dogs to do? Wear diapers?

You're fine; he's nuts.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphindm04 View Post
    What does he want dogs to do? Wear diapers?

You're fine; he's nuts.
    Seriously! I was thinking um dude hate to break it to you but the ground is my dogs toilet...
  9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    What a jerk. It's not like you wouldn't have cleaned anything up.

I've had people yell at me before, when I was walking my mum's dog and she peed on some asshat's front yard. I was like, "Oh, sorry, how did you want me to pick that LIQUID URINE up?"
  10. Senior Member
    I'm so glad my one dog has no problem doing her business right on the sidewalk. Haha. The guy is crazy. Repeated pees will leave brown spots on a lawn though so maybe he's a bit obsessive about his lawn? I've had the same problem in my own yard! There's two buildings, and a grassy 'courtyard' in the center. But the other building's front door is not on the side of the grassy area and this nasty old German man from the other building got mad at me while my dogs were sniffing the grass on my side. They weren't even going to the bathroom there, and it's everyone's yard. People are weird about grass. When I walk out in the neighborhoods I try and make sure they stick to what I can assume is public grassy areas but I can't always control it, or sometimes I'm desperate for them to just find a place they're happy with and go.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast