Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will he be alright?!

1. Regular Member

Puke Will he be alright?!

Advertisements
    So Otis ate some chicken bones when no one was home (it was due to carelessness). He threw them up at 5 am this morning and he's barely eaten anything all day. He has a few gurgling noises coming out of his stomach now. I just want to know if I should be worried and take him to a vet or if it'll pass and he'll feel better tomorrow! Please someone give me advise I'm scared to death because he is my first dog and this is the first time that he has thrown up
  2. Moderator

Oh no!

I've never had that happen, though Beaux has eaten plenty of stuff he shouldn't. I hope he feels better soon and someone with good advice will see this!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKat19 View Post
    So Otis ate some chicken bones when no one was home (it was due to carelessness). He threw them up at 5 am this morning and he's barely eaten anything all day. He has a few gurgling noises coming out of his stomach now. I just want to know if I should be worried and take him to a vet or if it'll pass and he'll feel better tomorrow! Please someone give me advise I'm scared to death because he is my first dog and this is the first time that he has thrown up

First, cooked chicken bones?

Cooked bones can splinter and the splintering could cause damage when eating and when vomiting them up.

How is he acting? Is he listless or active? Is he eating or drinking anything at all? Will he lick a little peanut butter off of your finger? Has he eliminated at all today?
  4. Senior Member
    I'd be calling the vet for advice to see if they want you to bring him in!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ditto to what Lynn put!

Also call your vet clinic? I know when that happened to my friend she called a animal clinic and told them what happened and they were able to kinda tell if the dog needed to go to the clinic.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I agree with what Lynn said.

Our GSD when I was a child ate some chicken bones that we're thrown in our yard, and one of them splintered and punctured something (I was young so I don't remember the details). By the time my parents realized there was a problem and found a vet who would work with them financially (it was about a week if I remember correctly), there wasn't much the vet could do for her and she passed.

I'm not trying to scare the crap out of you, but it's definitely something where you should ere of the side of caution and at least call the vet. I hope your pup is fine and hopefully he just eliminated everything when he threw up

7. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Yeah what Lynn said.

Just watch his behaviors. I know whenever my dog eats something he shouldn't have I fast him for 24 hrs and start him back up with boiled chicken and rice (blandest of the bland) to help settle his tummy. But with bones, they can splinter and cause problems. I'd call the vet and ask what you should do.

Hope your pup feels better!

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  8. Regular Member
    He woke up this morning with an appetite. He ate his breakfast but I didn't give him his usual amount of food I reduced it. He's acting like himself so I'm not as worried anymore and he has gone to "bathroom" to do his doggy business. I'm going to call the vet today just be on the safe side though. Thank you everyone
  9. Senior Member

Glad to hear he seems to be doing just fine! Yay!
    Deployment #1: Over!

DB: feck fuck fack Me: What? DB: I can't believe I love you so damn much

Extended separation #2: Over!
  10. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    My parents' dog ate an entire cooked chicken once and he was fine. We monitored him, of course. Glad your pup is ok!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast