Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get the puppy to stop chewing on poor Finn?

1. Senior Member

How do I get the puppy to stop chewing on poor Finn?

Advertisements
    So Finn is a big wuss, and he will literally just lay down and let the puppy chew on him. And I'm talking like seriously chewing, his chest hair is all messed up, she chews his ears and his hair is all matted, she rips out his tail hair, I've caught her laying behind him biting and pulling on the long hairs on the back of his legs, etc. Not only is she making him look all scraggly but my poor boy!

I don't want to discourage them from playing but she plays wrong. I always tell her to stop whenever I catch her, but a few minutes later she's back at it. What do I do? I can't believe this is actually a problem I'm having.
  2. Senior Member
    Jackson does the same thing to Blaze. Blaze just sits there and barks at us until we take care of it... Normally, I give Jackson a toy to play with and he stops for a little bit. Redirecting his attention with a proper toy to chew on.
  3. Senior Member
    I guess I'll just have to hope she grows out of it lol. Finn is too sweet and patient to stand up for himself like ever and I just feel so bad he's getting pushed around by this little puppy in his own home. If I redirect her to a proper toy she totally ignores it lol. Finn is her favorite toy.
  4. Moderator

Can you teach her a Drop It command? Then use it when she won't drop parts of Finn?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Can you teach her a Drop It command? Then use it when she won't drop parts of Finn?
    We're working on that (with both of them, continuously, cause even Finn will only "drop it" when he feels like it) but I mean she responds when I tell her no. They hang out with me basically wherever I go and it's usually Finn sleeping under a chair or whatever and Clem nearby chewing away. When I notice, I say NO and she backs away and stares at me, if I have a toy nearby (almost always) I give her that, but then as soon as I take my eyes off of her she goes right back to chewing him. I don't understand why he lets her, like there's NO way he's enjoying this. And he looks up at me with the saddest eyes. "Mom, why did you ruin my life?"
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We're working on that (with both of them, continuously, cause even Finn will only "drop it" when he feels like it) but I mean she responds when I tell her no. They hang out with me basically wherever I go and it's usually Finn sleeping under a chair or whatever and Clem nearby chewing away. When I notice, I say NO and she backs away and stares at me, if I have a toy nearby (almost always) I give her that, but then as soon as I take my eyes off of her she goes right back to chewing him. I don't understand why he lets her, like there's NO way he's enjoying this. And he looks up at me with the saddest eyes. "Mom, why did you ruin my life?"

I'm really no help because Dixie climbs all over Beaux like a giant jungle gym. Annnnnd she licks the inside of his mouth. Gross. Dogs are gross.

But, still better than cats.
  7. Senior Member

I'm really no help because Dixie climbs all over Beaux like a giant jungle gym. Annnnnd she licks the inside of his mouth. Gross. Dogs are gross.

But, still better than cats.
    Oh god they're so obsessed with each other, it's adorable. She likes Finn way more than she likes either of us, she follows him everywhere and she's always the happiest to see him when we get her out of her crate in the morning. He loves her too, he really really loves having a little buddy but I'm sure he would love it a lot more if she didn't treat him so bad. Omg and sometimes she won't come inside and I tell Finn "go get Clem, go get the baby" and he DOES!!! He goes out and finds her and they come inside together. <3 Ugh it's so cute. And when she cries in the morning I tell Finn "it's time to go let the bad girl out" and he goes right to her crate. Probably because that's where all the ruckus is coming from, but I choose to believe he understands who the bad girl is and that he's also annoyed that she's waking us up before we're ready.

I didn't really mean to gush but it's too late and I'm not deleting it now.
  8. Moderator

Aww that's really so sweet!

My pups love each other, but no where like Beaux loves my best friend's lab, Peach. They are in love. We tell him "it's time to go see your girlfriend" and he runs right to the truck. When we get to their house, we say "knock" and he paws their front door. Then they love on each other forever. Dogs know, I just know it.
  9. Senior Member
    Aww that's really so sweet!

My pups love each other, but no where like Beaux loves my best friend's lab, Peach. They are in love. We tell him "it's time to go see your girlfriend" and he runs right to the truck. When we get to their house, we say "knock" and he paws their front door. Then they love on each other forever. Dogs know, I just know it.
    that's so cuuuuuuuuute!!!! why do people ever get cats?
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    that's so cuuuuuuuuute!!!! why do people ever get cats?
    Because I don't want to have furniture that's not scratched up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast