Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking two dogs at the same time?

1. Senior Member

Walking two dogs at the same time?

Advertisements
    Does anybody have any tips? I bought a double dog leash and took the bbys out today and it was a complete disaster lol. I think some of it is because Clementine doesn't know what she's doing yet but like one would stop and yank the other, Clem was just trying to hop on Finn the whole time, they wanted to walk in different directions, etc. I mean we all made it home alive but I would like for it to go more smoothly in the future. Do you think it's just something they need to get used to or is there some trick to it?

Oh and here's a picture! Finn looks like a dweeb but it was the only one I got where Clementine wasn't a blur.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The first step is to establish good leash manners in each dog individually. I would focus on walking them separately and getting that foundation in place *then* work on the dual walking. You can still have "group" outings, just have one handler per dog so that each dog can be being worked separately on good leash manners.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    The first step is to establish good leash manners in each dog individually. I would focus on walking them separately and getting that foundation in place *then* work on the dual walking. You can still have "group" outings, just have one handler per dog so that each dog can be being worked separately on good leash manners.
    That's a good idea. They're already pretty good separately but maybe Clementine needs some work on distance walking, she's really only been out on the leash so far for potty breaks on our road trip and trips to the vet.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

trying to walk my dog and DBs dog at the same time is a horror show but i don't always have an option other than to walk them both at the same time.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post

trying to walk my dog and DBs dog at the same time is a horror show but i don't always have an option other than to walk them both at the same time.
    Yeah it's too hard to catch DH at a time when he's home before dark and not too tired to come with me, and I can't take one without the other. I mean I could, but Finn will get too sad when it's not his turn lol. He watched me leave through the window when I took her to her last vet appointment and I thought he was gonna die of a broken heart.
  6. Senior Member
    I use a coupler. My dogs are about the same height and have been walking with one for years. They had a hard time getting used to it at first but I haven't had any issues since they were pups. Now, they just trot down the sidewalk side by side.

They also wear gentle leader head harnesses. It works similar to a horse harness. People are always coming up and asking me how I'm able to control 2 large dogs and it's because of the head harness. Without it, they would drag me around.

Last edited by idratherbehiking; 01-25-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: photo

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    I totally agree with this.

IMO, I think the double leash is incredibly hard with dogs that aren't trained to walk together. I used to use one with my client dogs. Curently my two dogs are well trained and walk okayy together, but if I were to use the double leash they would jump all over each other and drag each other around. I have a dog that likes to pull and a dog that like to stop and smell everything, it would be a nightmare to walk them on the same leash.

But, I'm really not much of a help, I walk my dogs with Flexi leashes and they are constantly switching sides and it is a juggling act. I;ve just gotten good at juggling two crazy dogs. But throw in trying to pick up poop without someone stepping in it and all bets are off.
  8. Moderator

I don't have any advice, because I'm unable to walk my moose of a lab with my mini doxie.

But, I love the pics of the pups!!
  9. Senior Member
    I stalk your posts hoping to see pics of Clem

I'm obvi of no help.
  10. Senior Member
    it's always a fun experience for me with my two. Haha. I got the coupler but I realized pretty early on it was not fair to my girl who has good leash manners, when my boy is just all over the place and yanking her. I resorted back to two leashes while I work on his leash manners. I would wait till the little one is a bit older and calmer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast