Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older dogs!

1. Regular Member

Older dogs!

Advertisements
    So we adopted an older dog today. Shes a 12 yo black lab and she is a major sweetheart!

We knew going into the adoption that, as she is older, there will be different health routines/costs/vet expenses/etc than if she was a puppy or a young adult dog. She has hip and joint problems (which the shelter provided some supplements to us for), and is recovering from an ear infection (also, they gave us the ear drops to use 2x/day.) She has some growths, which the shelter had examined by a vet and ruled to be benign fatty tumors, on the side of her stomach. Other than that, she appears to be in relatively good health! I will be making a first appointment with a new vet in the beginning of this week to make double sure!

I know that 12 is quite old for big dogs like labs, and I know it will be so hard when we lose her, but we want to give her a comfortable, loving place to live out her last days, rather than staying in the shelter.

Anyway, tips/advice/experience on caring for a senior dog would be appreciated!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't have any advice, but I think it's really great of you to adopt her. I'm glad that she'll be able to live the rest of her life in love and comfort.

I Eelizah
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My old retriever mutt passed away last year, she lived until like 18! Older dogs are so great because they just want all the loves, treats and naps i love that you adopted the senior citizen doggy
  4. Senior Member
    I have a 12 year old and a 15 year old beagle (the 15 y/o lives with my parents). For both of them I have found a really comfortable bed (memory foam) is important. Everything else is pretty standard... good nutrition, supplements where necessary, and lots of love.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    My old retriever mutt passed away last year, she lived until like 18! Older dogs are so great because they just want all the loves, treats and naps i love that you adopted the senior citizen doggy
    we have already noticed since having her home with us since just this afternoon that she is just a big snuggle machine/napper! I was actually surprised by how quickly she seemed to take to DH and me, and our house!
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    I have a 12 year old and a 15 year old beagle (the 15 y/o lives with my parents). For both of them I have found a really comfortable bed (memory foam) is important. Everything else is pretty standard... good nutrition, supplements where necessary, and lots of love.
    Are softer pillows or beds bad? Right now we have a very plushy one already in the house that we will have her use tonight. I don't want her to struggle getting out of a too-soft bed.
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    If you are going to let her up on things or getting into an SUV, you might check on steps or ramps. We had steps for our senior cats (for the bed and chairs) and I have decided they are a "must have."

Drs. Foster and Smith have a shopping guide for beds - different "sleeping" leads to different recommendations. If you want to go all out, you can also get heated bedding . . . . .

I am so glad you are giving an older furbaby a forever home - it breaks my heart to see older animals on Petfinder.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosegirl View Post
    Are softer pillows or beds bad? Right now we have a very plushy one already in the house that we will have her use tonight. I don't want her to struggle getting out of a too-soft bed.
    I think that is just fine. Just watch how she is getting in/out of it and if you see her having problems you might get her something that is easy for her to get out of. But I think she will probably love the bed! I think the most important thing is that it is a soft place to lay and she doesnt have to jump up/down from a couch if she doesn't want to.
  9. Moderator

My lab isn't older, he's almost 6. But, my best friend has two labs, a 7 year old and 16 year old (Peach and Mario ). The 16 year old is a doll. He has a very nice tempropedic bed, so that he isn't tempted to jump on their bed. He gets biannual exams, instead of just annual. His hips are slowly giving out, but not bad yet. There is a ramp that we all use to get him in and out of our trucks.

Our labs are together seriously all the time. Mario plays with the two younger ones, until he has had enough, then he goes back to napping.

I think it's great you adopted an older dog. She could very well have a lot of years left on her. It's great that you're giving her a happy, secure home!
  10. Regular Member
    Our house has stairs, but luckily she will never have a reason to need to use them as everything she needs is on the first floor. My husband and I rarely ever even go to the second floor since our bedroom and everything else we could need (kitchen, laundry,etc) is on the first

I'm glad that it seems like caring for an older dog is mostly common sense. Making sure she's comfortable and has a good diet are my top priorities.

Edit: Sorry about the huge picture! Here's my little old lady I love her so much!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by moosegirl; 01-24-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: adding picture
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast