Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Doggy Mommy

1. Regular Member

New Doggy Mommy

Advertisements
    So I adopted a dog about a month ago. He's a rottweiler shepherd mix. He's 6 years old and the first dog I've ever had! I panic a lot over him but I can't help it! He's my child >.< Anywayss I'm taking him to the vet for the first time today and I would like an idea of how much it'll cost! Also what it's like to see a vet! If anyone who's experienced in dog ownership could please help me out I'd really appreciate it!
  2. Regular Member
    The vet can be pretty expensive, so brace for impact! For each one of our dogs it is usually about $120 to get caught up on shots, and then another $200 or so for a year supply or heartworm/flea/tick prevention. They will probably want to do an exam and maybe some lab stuff so that could be a little more too. There are pet insurance companies out there that you can shop around and save some money that way. Ask your vet about it. Also, be ready to control your pup around other dogs. Vet offices can be stressful trips because lots of people don't have any control over their dogs, so be careful. We love taking our dogs to the vet though, because all the vets and techs just love them! They get lots of treats and tons of attention, so its never a bad experience.
  3. Regular Member
    Also, I recommend Trifexis for the prevention stuff. it's just one pill for everything, instead of having to do chews and also drops on their back, etc. It's pricey but its worth it because heartworm treatment is thousands of dollars, so you don't want to put your pup through that.

Also, you should post a picture! Here are mine, Sampson (black lab) and Hellfire (the puppy mutt)

4. Regular Member
    One more question! Should i bring $200 dollars with me to the vet's office or do i pay like a bill afterwards? I want to be prepared >.< I'll post a picture when I get home! I have no pictures of Otis on this computer sadly
  5. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Also if you live near a PetSmart with a Banfield you may want to look into that! I love having my dog on the wellness plans (about $30/month if that) and I get free dental cleanings (once a year), free vet visits (for ANYTHING), certain lab work for free, a percentage off stuff not covered, and free vaccinations. It worked out because a year of wellness plan was less than the vet bill for taking him in and getting the shots... so much easier!

Make sure you look up reviews of a Banfield near you... mine is amazing, but there are a lot that people complain about... just as a heads up.

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  6. Senior Member
    I'd say $200 is about normal for the first vet visit, could be less or more depending on the shots that are required. Make sure you take any shot record you received when you got you dog. That way if he got a 3 yr rabies vaccine last year you don't have to re-vaccinate. If you don't have the records anymore you might call the place you adopted him from to get the records.

If you haven't had him on heart worm prevention you will probably need to do a heart worm test. Some vets will do various tests the first time you come to get a baseline.

You normally have to pay after the appointment before you leave, if money is a problem some vets do "Care Credit" which is a credit card for vet bills. I don't remember the details, but if that is something you need, i'd look into it.
  7. Senior Member
    They typically want you to pay before you leave. I would call and ask for an estimate, unless he needs a ton of shots or you're buying his flea/heartworm stuff or something I don't see why it would be $200 today. It's kind of impossible to say about how much it'll be since we don't know what he's going for, and there can be a pretty large discrepancy in how much each vet charges for whatever service. It's cost around $50 each time I've brought my new puppy in for shots but I think it was like $24 to bring my older dog in to get a heartworm test so he could get a new prescription. Like it really just depends what he's gonna need.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by bugbabe623 View Post
    Also if you live near a PetSmart with a Banfield you may want to look into that! I love having my dog on the wellness plans (about $30/month if that) and I get free dental cleanings (once a year), free vet visits (for ANYTHING), certain lab work for free, a percentage off stuff not covered, and free vaccinations. It worked out because a year of wellness plan was less than the vet bill for taking him in and getting the shots... so much easier!

Make sure you look up reviews of a Banfield near you... mine is amazing, but there are a lot that people complain about... just as a heads up.
    I also take my pup to Banfield, the one I go to is wonderful! And the wellness plan is great too!
  9. Regular Member
    He's up to date with his shots. And they asked me to bring a fecal sample. So I'm guessing they are going to do a fecal exam. But that's all i know honestly. :/
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKat19 View Post
    He's up to date with his shots. And they asked me to bring a fecal sample. So I'm guessing they are going to do a fecal exam. But that's all i know honestly. :/
    If he's up to date with his shots I'm assuming it'll be a first visit just to like get his records into their system, check him for worms, and probably a heartworm test to clear him of that so you can get him on preventatives.

I'm not a vet or anything, but my dog has had a few "first visits" because we've moved a couple times and that visit has never been very expensive, like nowhere near $200. In fact the only time I've spent near that amount was when he got neutered. I would still call for an estimate though since it sounds like you're bringing cash.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast