Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor puppy :(

1. Senior Member

My poor puppy :(

Advertisements
    So I took my puppy in for her eye tacking for her entropion & it quickly turned into a realization that she must have a dermoid where the vet explained to me that there is an abnormal mass of hair growing inside her eye cavity. Vet said he couldn't get deep enough to the point he felt he could get all the hair follicles. He said he has never seen it in the 21 years he has been practicing.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw when I picked her up. Basically, long hairs coming out of the corner of her eye. I have to monitor it over the next few days cause I can't get her in to opthamology till the 29th. The stitches in the first pic are the "eye tacking" which is to get the lower eyelid to not fold in. It is a temporary fix till we can get something permanent. The vet didn't even charge me for the tacking since he said the opthamologist might just take them out when they do what they have to do. If she gets worse in the meantime and we can't get her in sooner, they told us we will need to go to UC Davis or Rocklin, CA which is over a 2 hour drive

Hopefully we can keep it manageable till then. But by the length of the hairs, these were clearly growing in utero. She's such a sweet pup. I have a feeling she has a strong pain tolerance because she has been living with this all her life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  2. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Poor puppy

That is really bizarre! I hope she gets the help she needs at the ophthalmologist!

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Ugh, dermoids. So annoying. But they are very easily managed by an ophthalmologist, so the good news is its a fairly easy fix. The good news is since she hasnt had an issue with it yet, its highly unlikely she will have an issue with it before you can get to an ophthalmologist.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Ugh, dermoids. So annoying. But they are very easily managed by an ophthalmologist, so the good news is its a fairly easy fix. The good news is since she hasnt had an issue with it yet, its highly unlikely she will have an issue with it before you can get to an ophthalmologist.
    Thanks, Vino. This is very reassuring. We've never had a situation come up like this before with any of our pets so when this sprung up it we didn't know what to think or what the prognosis might be.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Poor puppy! Hope everything goes okay .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Poor puppy. I am sure she will be quite the happy gal once some of the pressure is taken out.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Poor puppy. Hopefully the ophthalmologist visit will help!
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Poor baby! I hope everything goes well!
  9. Senior Member

Came home today and all of the hairs went back into her eye socket. I'm baffled at what to do and put a ton of calls into my vet.

The consult alone is going to be $181 with the opthamologist, and an emergency visit is $500. UC Davis is $129 for an appointment - they don't have availability till February, but their emergency fee is $199 (not sure why they are cheaper). But I also don't want to drive all the way down there and put puppy through that JUST for a consult. I want to know if I take her there that they'll do the surgery.

I'm worried. She is really squinty and her eye is tearing up. Our vet said he is going to call Davis and see if we go there if they will just do the surgery and/or see if he can persuade the local opthamologist to see her sooner. If all else fails he said he has a friend in another nearby town who might be able to get her in, but still - it is a drive.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    and to your puppy! Poor thing. I hope all goes well with the consult. Keep us updated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast