Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Clipping nails

1. Senior Member

Clipping nails

Advertisements
    Clipping the pets nails is sooo stressful. I've never realized till it was too late how to condition them when they are young to handle it.

I have five pets that I clip their nails regularly but the one that stresses me out the most is my 12 year old cat. The other cats, because I bathe them and show them regularly... They know it's just part of the routine, no sense fighting me.

But my oldest cat.... No way. I had held him like the others and he bit me, so I wrapped him in a towel so I didn't get hurt. He fought me sooooo much, I was almost afraid to let go of him because I thought he would just attack me. So glad it's over now but OMG it stresses me out so much. I'd rather clip my German Shepherds' nails any day than my senior cat.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    For a cat that wants to fight it's best to have two people - one that can securely scruff the cat or otherwise use a body hold to block ability to use the three paws not being engaged while the clipper holds and clips the fourth paw.
  3. Senior Member
    If you wanted to Petsmart clips cats toe nails if it was worth it for you to pay. I'd be scared to cut my cats nails too, those things are sharp! And they can get em in you and hook in ugh scary!
  4. Senior Member
    Yeah I should have waited till this weekend when DH would be home. Matty is unofficially dubbed DH's cat cause Matty gravitates to him. I'm almost 100% sure Matty would have handled it better if DH was around. But for some reason after clipping the other pets I think I got over confident and was just like "oh I've got this".... And before I knew it, I had an attack cat. I can't even bathe him cause he is so violent when it comes to that. He's a great cat otherwise but if you are going to groom him... He will have none of it
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    Yeah I should have waited till this weekend when DH would be home. Matty is unofficially dubbed DH's cat cause Matty gravitates to him. I'm almost 100% sure Matty would have handled it better if DH was around. But for some reason after clipping the other pets I think I got over confident and was just like "oh I've got this".... And before I knew it, I had an attack cat. I can't even bathe him cause he is so violent when it comes to that. He's a great cat otherwise but if you are going to groom him... He will have none of it
    I hear ya!

Speaking of clipping nails - I had to laugh last weekend. DD and I got on a clipping kick and had tackled the dogs and then clipped both the indoor kitties - we put Sheldon down when he was done and he immediately went all "fainting Shelly" on us (think fainting goat) then tried to pull his favorite thing by dragging himself across the floor with his front paws. Unfortunately for him he had zero grip with his new manicure - the look on his face was too much. He pouted for days - I swear, he'd make a point to come into a room of people, flop over and make this big production of trying to drag himself along making sure EVERYONE could see what we had done to him.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    I hear ya!

Speaking of clipping nails - I had to laugh last weekend. DD and I got on a clipping kick and had tackled the dogs and then clipped both the indoor kitties - we put Sheldon down when he was done and he immediately went all "fainting Shelly" on us (think fainting goat) then tried to pull his favorite thing by dragging himself across the floor with his front paws. Unfortunately for him he had zero grip with his new manicure - the look on his face was too much. He pouted for days - I swear, he'd make a point to come into a room of people, flop over and make this big production of trying to drag himself along making sure EVERYONE could see what we had done to him.
    Too funny! You totally should have gotten a video
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~