Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me feed my beasts because I don't know what I'm doing

1. Senior Member

Help me feed my beasts because I don't know what I'm doing

Advertisements
    Ok so first of all, is puppy food really necessary? I'm looking at the difference between Taste of the Wild high prairie puppy vs regular adult food and all of the ingredients are the same, the puppy version just has slightly less of everything. I find conflicting information on the internet about this. Am I going to ruin the puppy if she eats regular dog food? Is she going to grow too fast and ruin her bones..? Her vet is happy with her growth rate at this point.

I don't mind purchasing different food for her, it's just that both of the dogs are constantly eating out of each other's bowls. They're in separate rooms, but they both just graze throughout the day. I don't know why, as far as I can tell they like their food, but Finn has always been like this and the puppy apparently is too. When I catch them eating from the wrong bowl I redirect them to their own food, but they either want to go back to the other bowl or they lose interest in eating entirely. Clementine has been a major pain in the ass with crate training so she's basically only in there to sleep at this point, and when I've tried to give her her food in there (both to force her to eat on a schedule and to keep Finn out of it) she flips the bowl over in protest and eats nothing. They also like to eat out of the same bowl, at the same time. One of them will start eating, then the other will hear the crunching and go join in. I've even put their bowls next to each other, but in this instance they will only eat out of the dish the other is already using. I don't understand them, I don't know why they're making my life so difficult.

I'm also interested in hearing dog food recommendations, because of the other recent thread about high protein foods. I asked about the kidney issues at the vet on Friday and he said with young active dogs like mine it isn't a concern, and TOTW is a great food he recommends. He said once they get older I should switch, but as of right now he thinks it's fine. I still think I want to switch though, because Finn has anal gland issues more often than normal (I believe) and in my amateur internet research, it seems like TOTW may be "too rich" for his system. The vet said if I want to switch them anyway he likes purina pro plan and science diet, but I wanted to see if you guys had any other suggestions? I know the petsmart food was mentioned in the last post but the closest store is like an hour away from me and I really would like to be able to buy it from amazon. Dog food advisor gives pro plan and science diet both kind of bad reviews and that's the only resource I know of!
  2. Moderator

I wish I could help. Dixie ate her puppy food and didn't mess with Beaux's because his food was too big for her. He's a pain and tried to eat her food, but after being told no, he left it alone. He hates to disappoint though.

By the by, I totally thought your title said "Help me feed my breasts"
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Yes, dogs, especially large breed dogs, need to be on puppy food until they are at least 6-9 months old (I recommend 9-12 months for large breed dogs). They have different proportions of calcium/phosphorus, which is key to bone and joint growth and health, in addition to be calorically more dense than adult food in order to help them be metabolically appropriate.

As for what brand- ignore internet reviews. You could find a bad review of water on the internet. Sex can have bad reviews online. I have seen bad reviews of bacon, and everyone knows bacon is always fucking amazing. Purina is a great brand that has been AAFCO approved, has been studied multi-generationally in numerous breeds and is great. You know what other brands are great? Most of them, at least the big brands. Iams. Eukanueba. Pedigree. They all have multi-generational studies and actually veterinarian dieticians on staff.

Things to stay away from: Any brand that has the following words- 'Uncle', 'Aunt', 'California', 'Organic', 'Natural', 'Sunshine', 'Wolf'. If the brand has any of those words, dont bother. They are either crappy or overpriced bullshit. Avoid Petsmart, Walmart, Target, Insert-Large-Box Store- Here brand. They dont have veterinarians on staff. I don't particularly like Beneful or Ceasar either.

As for feeding, sometimes when people get 2 dogs, they end up having for force them to eat. This means set the food down for each of them, in separate rooms, for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, the food goes away, regardless of how much/little they eat. At the next meal, do the same. Eventually, they will learn food comes and goes fast, and they WILL eat. Grazing is ok when the dogs are on the same diet, but I prefer my patients eat fast because what if Finn ever needs to go on a special diet (like if he develops kidney or heart disease)? What if Clem develops diabetes and needs her eating to be at specific times to help with insulin regulation? Eating meals for dogs and cats is preferable, just from a simplicity of treatment standpoint, should they ever need it. Training them to do it in meal form now vs when they may need it in the future is always a good plan.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Yes, dogs, especially large breed dogs, need to be on puppy food until they are at least 6-9 months old (I recommend 9-12 months for large breed dogs). They have different proportions of calcium/phosphorus, which is key to bone and joint growth and health, in addition to be calorically more dense than adult food in order to help them be metabolically appropriate.

As for what brand- ignore internet reviews. You could find a bad review of water on the internet. Sex can have bad reviews online. I have seen bad reviews of bacon, and everyone knows bacon is always fucking amazing. Purina is a great brand that has been AAFCO approved, has been studied multi-generationally in numerous breeds and is great. You know what other brands are great? Most of them, at least the big brands. Iams. Eukanueba. Pedigree. They all have multi-generational studies and actually veterinarian dieticians on staff.

Things to stay away from: Any brand that has the following words- 'Uncle', 'Aunt', 'California', 'Organic', 'Natural', 'Sunshine', 'Wolf'. If the brand has any of those words, dont bother. They are either crappy or overpriced bullshit. Avoid Petsmart, Walmart, Target, Insert-Large-Box Store- Here brand. They dont have veterinarians on staff. I don't particularly like Beneful or Ceasar either.

As for feeding, sometimes when people get 2 dogs, they end up having for force them to eat. This means set the food down for each of them, in separate rooms, for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, the food goes away, regardless of how much/little they eat. At the next meal, do the same. Eventually, they will learn food comes and goes fast, and they WILL eat. Grazing is ok when the dogs are on the same diet, but I prefer my patients eat fast because what if Finn ever needs to go on a special diet (like if he develops kidney or heart disease)? What if Clem develops diabetes and needs her eating to be at specific times to help with insulin regulation? Eating meals for dogs and cats is preferable, just from a simplicity of treatment standpoint, should they ever need it. Training them to do it in meal form now vs when they may need it in the future is always a good plan.
    Ok so let me ask you another question. If I can keep Clementine away from Finn's food, is it going to be detrimental to Finn if he eats her puppy food? I swear I am trying to keep them separate, but Finn obviously has more freedom than Clem does and I can't even keep him out of the trash sometimes so I'm not gonna promise he'll never be able to sneak her food.

I think I'm going to try pro plan right now. The large breed dog/puppy food are what I should get, yes?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I wish I could help. Dixie ate her puppy food and didn't mess with Beaux's because his food was too big for her. He's a pain and tried to eat her food, but after being told no, he left it alone. He hates to disappoint though.

Nothing constructive to add, but totally thought the same
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Nothing constructive to add, but totally thought the same
    omg MODS come edit my title

I just like to call them beasts because it makes them sound vicious
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    omg MODS come edit my title

I just like to call them beasts because it makes them sound vicious
    Noo I think it's funny. Although my brain did also try to change it to "breasts" even after correctly reading the title.

I do recommend feeding her puppy food. It has more of the nutrients in it she needs as a growing pup! As for brand, I don't really know how they compare. Never done much research, as my parents always bought the dog food! I honestly can't even remember what brand they like to buy. I can check and ask. What breed are your dogs?

UPDATE: My parents say they feed our dogs Rachel Ray's Nutrish (it is what I thought they used and I know they feed it to my kitty but I wanted to double check). I don't know anything about it, but I think they've been using it for close to a year now. We have two rotts, a male and a female. They are now five years old, about 120 and 95 pounds, and seem to do well on it. They are healthy dogs.

If you care, my kitty is about 18 years old, a tabby, and she still gets around just fine. She's not an overly large cat but she has had a bit of a pouch after getting fixed years and years ago. She does good on this food as well (obviously the cat version!). She used to have a lot worse of an issue with throwing up and it has gone down on this food better than any other, according to my parents.
  8. Senior Member
    It's not the labels or brands that matter, it's the ingredient list you should look at. I would make sure you compare TOTW's ingredient list with purina pro plan. Most of the Pro PLan are mainly grains and corn, so you'd be going from TOTW that has mostly meat, to a food that's mostly grain/corn. Unless it's a cost issue I wouldn't make that switch. It looks like the grain free pro plan has a decent amount of meat in it though. Remember that a named meat meal is more important than just a meat in the list ie. "chicken meal" vs "chicken." If it just says chicken/lamb/fish etc theres barely any in it. chicken/lamb/fish meal in the first few ingredients are what you want if you want to be feeding your dogs a meat based food. For what it's worth, I don't feed any of the "fancy" brands either, and the food I feed does have grains in it. The only thing I look for is a named meat source meal in the first few ingredients, and personally I like some fruits and veggies in it.
  9. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

I totally thought your title said "Help me feed my breasts"
    I did too!

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaAniwaya View Post
    Noo I think it's funny. Although my brain did also try to change it to "breasts" even after correctly reading the title.

I do recommend feeding her puppy food. It has more of the nutrients in it she needs as a growing pup! As for brand, I don't really know how they compare. Never done much research, as my parents always bought the dog food! I honestly can't even remember what brand they like to buy. I can check and ask. What breed are your dogs?

UPDATE: My parents say they feed our dogs Rachel Ray's Nutrish (it is what I thought they used and I know they feed it to my kitty but I wanted to double check). I don't know anything about it, but I think they've been using it for close to a year now. We have two rotts, a male and a female. They are now five years old, about 120 and 95 pounds, and seem to do well on it. They are healthy dogs.

If you care, my kitty is about 18 years old, a tabby, and she still gets around just fine. She's not an overly large cat but she has had a bit of a pouch after getting fixed years and years ago. She does good on this food as well (obviously the cat version!). She used to have a lot worse of an issue with throwing up and it has gone down on this food better than any other, according to my parents.
    I have golden retrievers, Finn is 3 and about 70ish pounds and Clementine is about three months old and 15 pounds. My grandparents feed one of their dogs the RR food, Finn has had it a few times when his ran out before the new shipment came and he doesn't like it. He's always been picky. I'm honestly really nervous to switch his food at all because he's been eating TOTW for over a year now with no issues but he's gone on hunger strikes with several other brands. So dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    It's not the labels or brands that matter, it's the ingredient list you should look at. I would make sure you compare TOTW's ingredient list with purina pro plan. Most of the Pro PLan are mainly grains and corn, so you'd be going from TOTW that has mostly meat, to a food that's mostly grain/corn. Unless it's a cost issue I wouldn't make that switch. It looks like the grain free pro plan has a decent amount of meat in it though. Remember that a named meat meal is more important than just a meat in the list ie. "chicken meal" vs "chicken." If it just says chicken/lamb/fish etc theres barely any in it. chicken/lamb/fish meal in the first few ingredients are what you want if you want to be feeding your dogs a meat based food. For what it's worth, I don't feed any of the "fancy" brands either, and the food I feed does have grains in it. The only thing I look for is a named meat source meal in the first few ingredients, and personally I like some fruits and veggies in it.
    See I've always looked at the ingredient lists and I know what's good and bad, but then I find out that the highly rated food I've been feeding my dog isn't actually all that great. I don't know who to trust. I just want to find a food that I can order online since I live in the middle of goddamn nowhere, will provide my dogs with basic nutrition, and won't make them sick or kill them.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast