Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: coughing dog

1. Senior Member

coughing dog

Advertisements
    Jackson started coughing last night. Honking, goose like cough that only sometimes produces white foam, 7 days after being boarded. Kennel Cough is really not what I wanted going around my house. My vet is not in today or tomorrow so I am hoping I am not a terrible dog mom by waiting until Monday to take him in. I'd go to the Emergency Vet but not sure if it is warranted, with the exception of coughing a lot he is pretty normal. Temp. is normal (101.0) and he is eating and drinking. I feel so bad for him, while he has a coughing fit Yes, He has had the bortatella nasal spray. Just 4 weeks ago.

The really crappy part of this whole ordeal is I have to go out of town Thursday- Monday. DH just left for training and I don't know anyone that would pet sit. I will be completely honest, I just sat down and cried for 30 minutes because I felt so overwhelmed. Not so much that Jackson is sick, but that I have to board him and I have no options. Anyone have any ideas? Been in this situation?

And also, to make it worse... today is his 2nd Birthday (not that he knows it, lol) what a terrible day to be sick..
  2. Senior Member
    Can you board him at the vet? Seems like that'd be the best option given he's sick.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Bordetella vaccine only protects against bordetella, not one of the 1000 other viruses/bacteria that cause 'kennel cough'.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    Can you board him at the vet? Seems like that'd be the best option given he's sick.
    My assumption was that being a boarding facility themselves, I wouldn't think they would take a contagious dog for boarding. I'll make sure and ask them and also ask them if they have recommendations for pet sitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Bordetella vaccine only protects against bordetella, not one of the 1000 other viruses/bacteria that cause 'kennel cough'.
    Understood. That is my frustration, the vaccine didn't help in this instance.

I'm just feeling pretty down about the whole situation. Murphy's Law, huh? It HAD to happen on the weekend, 5 days before trip, busy work week, and when DH is gone!