Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter surfing and trashcan raiding

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Counter surfing and trashcan raiding

Advertisements
    o.m.f.g.

Kilo is the light of my life but sometimes I wanna strangle him. DH and I just cannot for the life of us get him to quit stealing stuff of the counter or out of the trash. We have nowhere to put the trashcan other than where it is so we can't hide it in the cabinets or a closet or anything like that, and we already turn it so the lid opening is facing the wall. We catch him doing it like 10 times a day and we try to redirect him but nothing has worked.

and then there's the counter surfing. Obviously I know "don't leave food out" blah blah, but sometimes we have food on the counter while we're eating at the table or something and he tries to sneak it. Idk how to stop this but he's never shown any sign of progressing with it since he was able to reach the counters/trashcan.

HALP.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Have you taught him "leave it"? I have always used leave it and have successfully done so to the point that our dogs all know/have known that food not in their bowl or being handed directly to them is off limits - to the point that we can walk away and leave food sitting anywhere we want and come back to it being untouched. What about making the kitchen an off limits room to him - not talking about physical barriers, but training him that the room is a no-go zone for him? What training method do you currently use for him?
  3. Senior Member
    IDK how to help with the food on the counter. But, for the garbage try investing in those metal step cans with a lid. My lab used to raid the trash but now he can't since we switched ALL the the trash cans in the house (even the ones in the bathrooms) to step cans.

4. Senior Member
    I know this doesn't really fix *him* but could you get a smaller trash can and hide it under the sink or something? Crate him while you're eating maybe? Do you have a narrow enough entrance to your kitchen that a baby gate could section it off? Would that even work or would he be able to step over it I think they also sell little baby proof trash can lid closers, I haven't looked closely but I think that's what they are. In the hardware section at lowes.

Finn does the same thing. Our trash can is in the laundry room so we can close the door to keep him out but every time we leave it open by accident we come back to paper towels ripped up all over the place lol. I could literally leave for two minutes and come back and he will have gotten into the trash.

Just training him better is clearly the best route but I haven't gotten Finn to stop and he's an angel and the easiest dog ever to train. The trash is just too tempting for him.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I honestly don't think there is any hope. We've been perma-sitting a 2yr old dane for 11 months now. He is good at listening. I can say "Out" and he'll leave the kitchen, I can say "no" he'll take his head out of the trash, I can say "drop it" and he'll drop the tissues he so desperately loves, but he has made absolutely no progress on stopping the behaviors at all. Our other two dogs, if you tell them once something is bad, they never do it again. The dane is just ....too bright/not that bright (I tend to assume the latter in my frustration but it's probably the former ) and I don't think he'll ever stop testing the limits.
  6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Does he have his own place to lie down while you're eating? Maybe you can try teaching him "place" while you're eating so he'll go lay down.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This is a huge problem with my dad's lab. A couple weeks ago he stole and ate an entire apple pie while no one was in the room. We haven't found anything that prevents him from doing it.

I Eelizah
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We've tried tons of things. Loud claps, making obnoxious "NUH!!!" noises, saying no, get out, etc...that all stops him while he's doing it but doesn't stop him FROM doing it. And yeah, we say "Go to your room" and he goes to his room in the apartment when we eat. He's learned to automatically go there when the toaster oven dings
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It's probably just me being lazy but for us it's been a lot easier to just eliminate the temptation rather than train them to resist it. For food on the counter, if it's not working for ya'll to not have food out on the counter, I think the idea about having him out of the kitchen while you're eating is a good one. Our dogs don't really counter surf but DH haaaates how they beg (they don't come up to you while you're eating, but they stare very intently the whole time) so they get crated while we eat. After we're done cooking and we sit down they just put themselves to bed lol.

For the trash can, you consider investing in one that has a lockable lid?
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    We've tried tons of things. Loud claps, making obnoxious "NUH!!!" noises, saying no, get out, etc...that all stops him while he's doing it but doesn't stop him FROM doing it. And yeah, we say "Go to your room" and he goes to his room in the apartment when we eat. He's learned to automatically go there when the toaster oven dings
    You have just confirmed my thoughts that this is an impossible dane issue. Incessant toddler until they're too old/grumpy to move (quite sad thought).

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    It's probably just me being lazy but for us it's been a lot easier to just eliminate the temptation rather than train them to resist it. For food on the counter, if it's not working for ya'll to not have food out on the counter, I think the idea about having him out of the kitchen while you're eating is a good one. Our dogs don't really counter surf but DH haaaates how they beg (they don't come up to you while you're eating, but they stare very intently the whole time) so they get crated while we eat. After we're done cooking and we sit down they just put themselves to bed lol.

For the trash can, you consider investing in one that has a lockable lid?
    Not sure about Yabos' dog, but ours counter surfs for fun, no food needed. It's the perfect height for his head and jowls and slobber to drag across, even if nothing is there (PSA: Danes are too big for anyone's good!)

ETA: To clarify, I tried to teach him he wasn't allowed in the kitchen at all, because that'd just be best. It's just not possible, if he can he will go in. Great at leaving when you ask, but I seriously don't think there is anything reasonable to actually prevent him from trying when we're not looking. It's become a great comedy for me, yea, I have no hope for him improving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast