Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of adopting a cat

1. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries

Talk me out of adopting a cat

Advertisements
    No seriously, talk me out of it!! DD and DH are pressuring me to go look at cats for adoption. I don't want a kitten FOR SURE but a part of me is like a cat might be kinda cool, maybe one that's like a year or so old from the shelter.

The other, more rational, part of my brain is saying that my couches and carpet could suffer from scratching and I would have a litter box in my house but that's not working to talk me out of it anymore...

2. Senior Member
    Cats don't love you, they just hang around because you feed them
    Litter boxes are disgusting
    If you die alone and nobody finds you for a few days, the cat will eat you

They're just not worth it.
  3. Senior Member
    Aren't you trying for another child? Even though cats are low maintenance, they aren't *no* maintenance. So think about adding to your responsibilities and whether now is a good time.

(How was that?)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Devil

Get an adult cat! The older ones can stay at the shelter so much longer because they're not as "cute" but they're just as lovable! My boy had lived at the shelter for just over a year when I got him. Also, adult cats are already house and litter trained most of the time since a lot of then do come from homes and not the street (you wouldn't believe the reasons people give for putting cats up for adoption).

(I'm no help. I know it. )
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Cats do take some work...and since there is TTC in the mix, you cannot be near the litter boxes, so your DD or DH would need to be aware they have to take care of that part.

6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If you're really concerned about the condition of furniture and couches I would hesitate to get any pets at all. Even with dogs, the impact on our couches and carpets is noticeable. Choosing between the two (nice furniture or pets) is really hard and a lot of pets end up rehomed for this reason.

Also look at your budget. Pets are expensive and funds will need to be allocated for food, regular vet care, and emergencies. Again, choosing between life saving care or going into debt is really hard and a lot of pets end up euthanized for this reason.

Not trying to fear monger but hey it's something to think about!
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Okay.... Jumping on the bandwagon! Don't get a cat if you want to have a baby! The litter box will stink up the house and the cat could end up using other areas as their toilet. Cats are finicky.

Now if you change your mind...see my earlier post
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Cats don't love you, they just hang around because you feed them
    Litter boxes are disgusting
    If you die alone and nobody finds you for a few days, the cat will eat you

They're just not worth it.
    I you.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Aren't you trying for another child? Even though cats are low maintenance, they aren't *no* maintenance. So think about adding to your responsibilities and whether now is a good time.

(How was that?)
    that's good because pregnant women can't change litter boxes right? And isn't it a bad thing to have a cat in a house with a newborn?
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Get an adult cat! The older ones can stay at the shelter so much longer because they're not as "cute" but they're just as lovable! My boy had lived at the shelter for just over a year when I got him. Also, adult cats are already house and litter trained most of the time since a lot of then do come from homes and not the street (you wouldn't believe the reasons people give for putting cats up for adoption).

(I'm no help. I know it. )

9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Special View Post
    Cats do take some work...and since there is TTC in the mix, you cannot be near the litter boxes, so your DD or DH would need to be aware they have to take care of that part.
    I've told them that...DH is all oh I'll change the litter box while I :eyeroll at him

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    If you're really concerned about the condition of furniture and couches I would hesitate to get any pets at all. Even with dogs, the impact on our couches and carpets is noticeable. Choosing between the two (nice furniture or pets) is really hard and a lot of pets end up rehomed for this reason.

Also look at your budget. Pets are expensive and funds will need to be allocated for food, regular vet care, and emergencies. Again, choosing between life saving care or going into debt is really hard and a lot of pets end up euthanized for this reason.

Not trying to fear monger but hey it's something to think about!
    Well we aren't getting a puppy for sure, we have two dogs (whom we love) but no more dogs for us! Money wise we're really good so that's not really something I can use but I see where you're coming from

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Okay.... Jumping on the bandwagon! Don't get a cat if you want to have a baby! The litter box will stink up the house and the cat could end up using other areas as their toilet. Cats are finicky.

Now if you change your mind...see my earlier post

10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I love love love cats but don't get one right now especially with you guys TTC, I'm sure DH changing the litter box all the time will not be his favorite thing really fast!

I'm still at Heisenberg though, if that didn't talk you out of a kitty I don't know what will!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast