Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Training a dog

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

House Training a dog

Advertisements
    Any tips and tricks for house training a dog?? my boyfriend just adopted a 2 year old beagle and I'm watching her right now while he's at work and I'm realizing she's 100% not house trained...like i took her outside for a good 20 minutes and she came in and peed.

any tips on how to house train a non-puppy while working full time??
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Tether training. First off it's a beagle, so it's gonna be stubborn as fuck. Beagles are HIGHLY food motivated so treats are a must. Keep her leash tied to your belt loop and don't let her be alone. Take her out frequently, even if it is every 30 minutes. Give her 5-10 min outside, if she doesn't potty bring her in and try again in 20-30 minutes. When she does potty, act like you hit the megamillions lotto. Praise, praise, PRAISE and reward with treats. She'll get the hang of it. It may take some time, and there are going to be accidents inside, but she will figure it out.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Tether training. First off it's a beagle, so it's gonna be stubborn as fuck. Beagles are HIGHLY food motivated so treats are a must. Keep her leash tied to your belt loop and don't let her be alone. Take her out frequently, even if it is every 30 minutes. Give her 5-10 min outside, if she doesn't potty bring her in and try again in 20-30 minutes. When she does potty, act like you hit the megamillions lotto. Praise, praise, PRAISE and reward with treats. She'll get the hang of it. It may take some time, and there are going to be accidents inside, but she will figure it out.
    Lots and lots of praise then she'll get the hang of it.
    My parents had to go through this with their adult rescue. It just takes a lot of patience.

4. Senior Member
    Take her out frequently, watch her like a hawk to minimize opportunities, lots of praise and treats when she does it right. Don't punish her if you find a mess after the fact, but if you catch her going I usually do like a mean clap and yell NO NO NO and bring them outside immediately to finish. And then carry on as usual, when they finish outside it's treats and praise.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

ive never heard of the tether training that sounds like a good idea. ill tell him to try that when he's home. ive been taking her out about once an hour so far and she hasn't peed inside in an hour lol so theres a start
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Lots and lots of praise then she'll get the hang of it.
    My parents had to go through this with their adult rescue. It just takes a lot of patience.
    im glad it can be done! i guess i got lucky with my dog he only had like one accident and it was a legit accident and he felt bad lol i never expected her not to be house trained at 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Take her out frequently, watch her like a hawk to minimize opportunities, lots of praise and treats when she does it right. Don't punish her if you find a mess after the fact, but if you catch her going I usually do like a mean clap and yell NO NO NO and bring them outside immediately to finish. And then carry on as usual, when they finish outside it's treats and praise.
    thats what ive been doing. glad I'm doing the right thing. she peed on the carpet and i pulled her over and showed it to her (she tried to run away after i saw her do it) and told her she was a bad girl and took her outside.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

here are some pics btw

im shocked at how good and willing to share my dog is being
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

OMg what a face!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

OMg what a face!
    i love her she's so sweet she just snuggles and kisses but i have to admit I'm glad she's going home with DB and i can stop cleaning my carpet lol
  9. Senior Member
    awwww she's so cute!

10. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    cutie! as for the peeing... crate train. it's foolproof, unless you have one of the rare dogs who will pee in a properly fitting crate. dog stays in the crate until the moment they go outside. if they pee, praise out the heezy and let them be free indoors for a while (depending on age, how long they can hold it). then back in the crate til it's outside time again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast