Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Clicker training

1. Senior Member

Clicker training

Advertisements
    I just bought a clicker on a whim. Do any of you guys use this method? Has it worked well for you? I know you're supposed to get them to make the connection that a click means they're getting a treat but that's about it. Google is kind of overwhelming me.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We did it with my dad's dog, but Teddy was too afraid of the sound it made for it to work with him. With Jake though, we started by clicking and then giving a treat. No action on his part required. We did that until he realized the the clicker meant good. Then for tricks we tried to get him to do that action and then the second he did it, we clicked. So if we wanted him to sit we would say the word when he was doing it and then click. You just have to make sure that the click comes immediately after whatever you want her to do. That's what makes them so effective.

I Eelizah
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    We did it with my dad's dog, but Teddy was too afraid of the sound it made for it to work with him. With Jake though, we started by clicking and then giving a treat. No action on his part required. We did that until he realized the the clicker meant good. Then for tricks we tried to get him to do that action and then the second he did it, we clicked. So if we wanted him to sit we would say the word when he was doing it and then click. You just have to make sure that the click comes immediately after whatever you want her to do. That's what makes them so effective.

Exactly! You really have to be persistent though. It didn't work with my dog simply because I don't have the patience to keep up on it. We just do regular commands and it works for him Good luck!
  4. Senior Member
    We clicker train pretty much exclusively. For our eager to please, food motivated dog, it works insanely well. Check out the kikopup channel on YouTube. She has tons of videos about clicker training.