Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy cries in her crate all morning, please help omg

1. Senior Member

Puppy cries in her crate all morning, please help omg

Advertisements
    We've had Clementine for over three weeks now and she still hates her crate. When she's tired she will only cry for like five minutes or so before she puts herself to sleep, but when she's not she cries for all eternity and I'm going insane.

I can handle it during regular daytime hours but I've been getting like six hours of sleep a night since we got her because of this and I don't know how much longer I can take it before I kill somebody and end up on the news. She's SO good except for this and I don't know how to fix it! Every morning around 6AM and then especially when the sun comes up she thinks it's time to wake up so she cries, howls, and screeches until I give up and let her out, and then I'm cranky all day.

She has things to occupy her in her crate, we've tried the blanket over the crate but it doesn't help and she pulls it in through the bars to destroy, I let her out every morning and she does everything she could possibly need to, she literally just wants to come out so she can play. I tried locking her in the laundry room instead of the crate to see if that helps and it doesn't, she whines in there too. She can't come to bed with us instead because I'm not going to spoil her and also she will bite me and try to play anyway, so it will solve nothing. What else do I try?? I feel like I'm a pretty patient person but this is too much.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My dogs think 7 am is the correct time to wake up and I've had them for years and not figured that one out. They'll bark to be let out until I get up.

If she's crying because she's bored and wants to play, maybe a one of those mind game type toys would be good for her? Even if she has to stay locked up in the crate it could provide mental stimulation to keep her occupied until you guys are ready.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    My dogs think 7 am is the correct time to wake up and I've had them for years and not figured that one out. They'll bark to be let out until I get up.

If she's crying because she's bored and wants to play, maybe a one of those mind game type toys would be good for her? Even if she has to stay locked up in the crate it could provide mental stimulation to keep her occupied until you guys are ready.
    That might be a good idea, maybe I can find one small enough to fit in there with her comfortably. Maybe that'll be how she gets her breakfast from now on, I'll have to look. Thank you! That seems so obvious now lol I hope it works!!
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Ours were doing the same thing except they thought 430 and 5 were proper time to wake up.
    We moved their crate into our room and they stopped crying. I don't deally like them in ther but I like my sleep more.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Ours were doing the same thing except they thought 430 and 5 were proper time to wake up.
    We moved their crate into our room and they stopped crying. I don't deally like them in ther but I like my sleep more.
    She's already in the room with us I'm hoping she doesn't get worse when we go home and move her back into the living room.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Is your other dog out of a crate at night? If so it can be a mix of boredom and jealous that, 'Hes out and can play! I WANT TO', in which case keeping him out of 'her' room at night may be needed.

But agreed with what OGM said- stimulation toys and ignoring her cries.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how feasible this is but could you put her in a puppy safe gated area or "playpen" until you're ready to get up? So she's able to move around and play and has a little more freedom (maybe on a hard floor in case she has an accident).

Also Vino has a valid point if she sees Finn up and moving around that could cause her to want to come out and play too.

8. Senior Member

Agree with the above, and also as hard as it is... The more you give in a let her out the more she learns that the longer she whines, she will be let out every time. So you can't give in to her.
  9. Senior Member
    Finn isn't crated anymore, but he's not typically anywhere she'd be able to see him. At our house in LA he sleeps upstairs in our room with us. Here for the next week we're all in the same room but Im pretty sure from the angle she can't see him at night. Maybe though? But idk how to remedy that cause I tried to make him go in her crate before we brought her home (to make sure it was the right size when she gets big) and he was like LOL you are crazy.

April I tried the playpen idea by locking her in the laundry room instead, she still cried just as much. I think she just wants to be awake and playing with us, but we're not ready to play at that hour lol. Before we made the trip down here I went and laid on the couch and made Finn entertain her (with a baby gate blocking off the rest of the house) and that worked ok, but it's not really an option here cause it's a very open floorplan. that's somewhat of a solution when we go home next week.

I'm wondering if Finn was also this annoying and I just mentally blocked it out. Next time I talk about getting a puppy (or if I ever lose my mind and decide to have a baby) y'all need to link me back to this post.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaAniwaya View Post
    Agree with the above, and also as hard as it is... The more you give in a let her out the more she learns that the longer she whines, she will be let out every time. So you can't give in to her.
    I only let her out to go potty and then she goes right back in, and then she gets let out for good at breakfast time. She's still whining by then but I have to let her out at some point
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast