Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My kitty is on the way!

1. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.

My kitty is on the way!

Advertisements
    I know, I know... I haven't posted in like, forever... Hello!

But I am excited! And worried! And excited! About a month ago I decided to adopt a cat. The local shelter didn't have many, so I looked for animal protection organisation, and found one that finds homes for friendly strays from Eastern Europe (where there are loads of strays). I found a young female who was urgently looking for a new home. She is 8 months old, super social and friendly, but apparently has an issue with other female cats, so was looking for a home alone or with a male cat... Some process of home visits and arranging for transportation, she is on her way to me! Will be here in 5 or so hours!

Eeeep! I have never had a pet before!

Unfortunately, things might be a bit stressful, as she has also not been spayed yet (long story, she was adopted as a kitten, but did not get along with the older female cat, and the woman did not get her spayed, despite it being a provision in the contract), and is going into heat. I arranged an appointment to get her spayed on the 29th (if her heat has passed, the vet says she would rather wait it out). So she will arrive, barely have time to settle, and then get a nasty surgery... Hope she doesn't hate me. Any advice on making that easier on her?

And I know posting such a thread with no visuals will get me lynched... so here is a video her first adoptive mom made of her about a month ago:

EEEP!

P.S. Oh, yeah, I am thinking of naming her Ronia, after "Ronia, the robber's daughter", a children's book I loved as a kid. But I want to meet her first, see if it fits.

Eeep!
    Last edited by Space Hedgehog; 12-23-2014 at 10:00 AM.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I kinda consider cats like a roommate, there are house rules, but they are going to be who they are going to be. Sometimes they want to hang out and sometimes they are crazy and break your stuff. I would make myself available, swirl a toy ribbon or something around to play, keep a food schedule, speak kindly and scratch her head after surgery, but not force handling, pets and cuddles. I hope she settles quickly!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    So cute! She looks just like my kitty

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    She's adorable! Thank you for adopting and saving a life!
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    She's so cute!!

As for going into heat/spaying, she may want to mark stuff with her pee a lot. When I got Jasmine, she hadn't been spayed yet since she was super teeny and she went into heat before I could get my appointment to get her back to the humane society to be fixed. And she peed on everything that was on the floor. ONLY stuff on the floor though, and never the floor itself, so after a day or two I learned that everything had to be picked up, every last sock or bag or book. But it passed pretty quickly after that. I'm just telling you so that if she has issues, you know it's the heat and not that she doesn't know how to use a litterbox. The surgery will likely go easily Cats heal very fast, Jazzy was up and running within a couple days of her surgery. I would just give her space, as much as she needs, and coax her gently with treats and toys if she seems shy or scared. It can take time for cats to warm up!!! Jasmine was so shy when I got her that it was months and months before she let me cuddle her and now I have trouble getting her OUT of my lap.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Senior Member
    She is adorable. Make sure to plant proof your place. Mine loves to chew on plants, which is so not good. Otherwise, have treats and just be patient. She might need a few days to be social.
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    I usually confine for a week to start anyway so they have time to get used to the smells and sounds of my place. Sounds like in this case it may be a really good idea till she's out of heat. I confined all mine in a bathroom, my bathroom was pretty big, with a litter box, food and if there is no where for her to hide, carrier.

It just gives her time to adjust and since she'll be in heat and potentially messier than normal, it's a win/win.
  8. Senior Member
    Congrats!! She's a cutie

Everybody has awesome advice! I would really only recommend after surgery keeping her in a smaller, quiet area so she can stay quiet and not have too much to run around and possibly hurt herself on. I usually only give them freedom after surgery while I clean bedding, etc. then back in the crate or room!
  9. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    She is here! Currently exploring. At first she was not giving any signs of the heat, but now that she seems to have decided this territory is safe enough, she started rolling on the floor and doing the occasional rather weird meow... This will be interesting...
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Aww! I'm glad that you adopted her! I've never dealt with a cat in heat, so I have no advice. Good luck!
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast